sadmanbarty

you look back over the smiths oevre and at some point you have to think to yourself "what difference does it make?"

it makes none si.

luka

at an artistic level that extreme adolescent, emotional gaucheness, which frequently crosses over into the comedic is brave.

luka

you can open up freedoms emotionally in that sense i think. allow people to express what had previously been repressed. it doesn't always have to be sonic innovation.

luka

i cant listen to them really cos it sounds too funny/awkward but i can appreciate that that is the point of the operation.

luka

find the embaressing thing and do that. is that one of enos oblique strategies? if it's not it should be.

blissblogger

i didn't see your earlier replies to my first sally

yes, exactly what you say there... a backing away from the postpunk principles

BUT the point is.... pop music, or popular music, moves dialectically (i think that's the right word)

postpunk became a dead end, it pursued its logic or rather its various directions until they became barren and worse than that, familiar

you had the Cabaret Voltaires and then you had second-wave sub-Cabaret Voltaires or sub-A Certain Ratios that were just repeating the formula - bands you most likely would never have heard of, for good reason, like Hula or Chakk

and even Cabaret Voltaire themselves kind of stuck, they went as far as they could with that sound, and then tried to take it a little bit mainstream, that didn't work

A certain Ratio decided they wanted to make proper black-sounding records and ended up like Level 42 shadowed by a vague unease

so what is the swerve out of that dead end?

for a lot of people at that time, rediscovering elements of Sixties music did seem like, if not the Way Ahead, then somewhere to go - and bringing back certain things that had been lost (a new approach to the love song

others soldiered on as if postpunk never stopped - so you had a band like Nitzer Ebb which was essentially a DAF tribute band. all of that Electronic Body Music.

luka

although part of me does feel uncomfortable with that argument because it
was part of the still quite new cultural conversation between a multicultural london working class, which in itself was quite utopian. it was a shared space and an ongoing conversation which stalled to some degree after grime as we've discussed on here before. it's a tricky one.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i didn't see your earlier replies to my first sally

yes, exactly what you say there... a backing away from the postpunk principles

BUT the point is.... pop music, or popular music, moves dialectically (i think that's the right word)

postpunk became a dead end, it pursued its logic or rather its various directions until they became barren and worse than that, familiar

you had the Cabaret Voltaires and then you had second-wave sub-Cabaret Voltaires or sub-A Certain Ratios that were just repeating the formula - bands you most likely would never have heard of, for good reason, like Hula or Chakk

and even Cabaret Voltaire themselves kind of stuck, they went as far as they could with that sound, and then tried to take it a little bit mainstream, that didn't work

A certain Ratio decided they wanted to make proper black-sounding records and ended up like Level 42 shadowed by a vague unease

so what is the swerve out of that dead end?

for a lot of people at that time, rediscovering elements of Sixties music did seem like, if not the Way Ahead, then somewhere to go - and bringing back certain things that had been lost (a new approach to the love song

others soldiered on as if postpunk never stopped - so you had a band like Nitzer Ebb which was essentially a DAF tribute band. all of that Electronic Body Music.

or you could go to 80s rnb/boogie, early house imports. fatback, c abrams etc.

did anyone do this?

luka

BUT the point is.... pop music, or popular music, moves dialectically

i think there is various ways you can model it and what the thread is about probably, more than anything, is this question. how can we best model this process of scouting, penetrating the unknown, revealing it to the world, showing the way to others who come along, explore that territory themselves, everyone at this stage involved in mapping and discovery until the point comes at which it's done. there's nothing more there to be found. it's gone from terra incognita to another suburban neighbourhood with front lawns and two car garages.

and then the question becomes

what do we do now. where do we go now? and who will show us the way?

blissblogger

can you remember exactly how it happened? what clicked? when?

it was the single "This Charming Man"

i think before that i had heard the Radio One evening show sessions that were later on Hatfull of Hollow (and which i loved then - but when i first them heard, it sounded very monochrome. literally like a black-and-white movie). vaguely aware of this buzz but sort of don't get it.

then i heard that single

but also it was writing by my favorite music writers that made me listen to them again - the review of 'this charming man' by paul morley, and then a fantastic piece by Barney Hoskyns that went into the whole Genet thing and the reinvention of the love song and the gender politics etc

also seeing them perform on TV - and the heroic gaucheness thing that Luka mentions - really made it clear what was being represented, what the stance was

i feel quite fortunate i was 20 when that happened, because if the Smiths had come along when I was 16 it could have locked me into a glamorisation of isolation and misery that was quite destructive and imprisoning

i was at just the right age to still be able to feel the allure of Morrissey but not have him as a model for life (or unlife, more aptly)

just unhappy and alienated enough to understand the phenomenon and not laugh it or write it off a sort of melodrama of maladjustment

blissblogger

or you could go to 80s rnb/boogie, early house imports. fatback, c abrams etc.

did anyone do this?

well, New Order did that. they were listening to New York dance radio mixes by Shep Pettibone, Italo disco, a lot of the NYC club tracks that would now be filed as postdisco or boogie.

they were definitely some postpunk-era units that explored sequencers, drum machines, synth-bass, sampling etc.

Depeche Mode - who i didn't really care for much at the time - did that and made some music that so much more audacious and interesting than it did back then

Scritti Politti would also be a paradigm example of a postpunk band that keeps riding the wave of black dance music innovation - responding to it, incorporating it, and even contributing to it to a degree

luka

be contradictory then luke. let it all out. consistency is the currency of the redundant.

well what you think ringmaster? essentially rave couldn't take down the establishment. it aroused so much opposition that it was crushed. it couldn't organise it'self to fight back so the reality principle was reimplemented. a door slams shut. just as it did after may '68. these things happen.
we make the dream as real as we can make it but they are bubbles and always vulnerable to being popped.

but some of the boundaries which dissolve stay dissolved and jungle is partly a product of that cross-cultural conversation facilitated by rave. it's not as dreamy but it's probably better music for that.

again the balance is fairly delicate though and the alliance fractures and is reassembled at a later date with garage.

luka

a glamorisation of isolation and misery that was quite destructive and imprisoning

this is ultimately why i have to be anti-smiths. i can applaud them up to a point but i always have to say no. you are wrong.