thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Antihumanism is an interesting sideshow for me but romanticism is the whole reason I'm obsessed with music in the first place.

Electro that sounds like the terminator is of only passing interest to me, I only really cherish the stuff with melancholy chords, the T1000 choons do my head in within a matter of minutes.

But it's not an anger thing is it? it's not that tradition can't be recovered, it's more like it's not possible anymore. we're all modern. any attempts to do that sort of yearning are quixotic and don't actually replicate the romance that is being pined for. And by tradition i just don't mean in a conservative way, though undoubtedly that does factor into it. I.E: the traditionalists who try to revive a tradition are the actual people who invent the *tradition* as a specific period of time condensations and sequences. whereas for the people living within these periods it's harder to say they think of their periods as traditional times. some of the upper classes certainly did prior to the renaissance but I'm not sure if it's worth going off that.

Last edited:

luka

There's something repugnant and very unhygenic about the way people are so reluctant to leave the soiled bedsheets of their own subjectivity.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This is where I would insert the wedge chisel crowbar to get movement.

right yeah it's not an anger thing. in uni i had a mate into black metal who was always super angry, i just wish the world would burn etc. and i was like oh for god's sake it's not going to so just resign yourself to it, better to be defeated than pseudo-righteous. that's a similar wavelength to this stuff. it's not really trying to make a point of being angry it's just pushing those extreme industrial sounds in a dance music context.

It's different than neo-ebm or whatever in that it builds on the principles of jackin chicago acid.

luka

Melancholy is particularly disgusting. It's the feeling of when there's a big shit there but you have to hang on to it for while for pragmatic reasons. A feeling Freud dubbed 'voluptuous'

luka

Anti-humanism can't possibly be about anger. that is the emotion of the individual subject. This is something else. This is a basic point.

luka

Say something intelligent poetic and profound Rich. You've done more drugs than all of us put together. There's no way you live in a world of human emotions snd subjectivity any more. You must be in the geological or the molecular by now

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the chicago guys were very, very advanced. all that green velvet stuff with the stereo panning double time triplets, the relief and cajual stuff, the dance mania. similar to how 2nd wave detroit was also there.

firefinga

Melancholy is particularly disgusting. It's the feeling of when there's a big shit there but you have to hang on to it for while for pragmatic reasons. A feeling Freud dubbed 'voluptuous'

Melancholy is one of the distinct features of middle class/bourgeois/middle-of-the-road mindset.

luka

What pattycakes is saying is true for what I've dubbed Detroit Romanticism but I'm not interested in that. I think it's reactionary (albeit frequently beautiful) The antihumanist (not anti human incidently. No seam of ore in rock or distant star is anti human) is what I want to focus on and I'm drawn to it for similar reasons to third. I'm sick of music. Im sick of soul. He's also right to focus on experience rather than listening per se and it's there we get some cross-fertilisation with the various ambient and drone threads

Occured to me today that the word I was looking for is anthropomorphic

luka

Melancholy is one of the distinct features of middle class/bourgeois/middle-of-the-road mindset.

Ray Cappuccino
Ray Cappuccino
@Ray_Cappuccino
·
Sep 16
creme brulee. frothy cappuccino. feeling rather melancholy and all alone. wipe away milk mustache. regret everything. a familiar and rather grubby state of affairs. this is the tawdry state of wistful self-pity the English designate a
SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Say something intelligent poetic and profound Rich. You've done more drugs than all of us put together. There's no way you live in a world of human emotions snd subjectivity any more. You must be in the geological or the molecular by now
Perhaps that has left me perfectly unable to articulate things though. Maybe that's the paradox.

luka

More talking! Faster! Better! Madder! More Intense! Go!Go!Go!
Your jobs are to keep me occupied snd engaged. Very important and prestigious life-roles.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
"Paralleling Iggy Pop’s obsessions with electricity and amplification, his dream of becoming the conduit for anti-social/inhuman energies that override all the system’s circuit-breakers, the label of ‘Riot’ declares: ‘all energy arranged, produced and mixed by Underground Resistance’."

*energy not music.* I'll get onto the melancholy a bit later.

luka

I saw his raw power tweet yesterday and thought of this thread. The music doesn't make it but the ambition does.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
real psychedelic trance how it would sound if the guys were actually proper people taking acid not plastic wanks.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
"The mind has no colour … There’s this perception that if you’re black and you make music, then you must be angry. Or you must be “deep”. Or you must be out to get money and women. Or you must be high when you made that record. It’s one of the four. And the media does a really good job of staying within those four categories. But in these cases, it’s neither of those.’

To which you might respond, what’s left? If you remove race, class, gender, sexuality, the body and the craving for intoxication from the picture, what exactly remains to fuel the music? Just the ‘pure’ play of ideation. The result is music that appeals to a disinterested and disembodied consciousness. The formalism of minimal techno has some parallels with minimalism in the pictorial arts and in avant-classical composition; both have been critiqued as spiritualized evasions of political reality, as attempts to transcend the messy and profane realm of History and Materiality in the quest for the ‘timeless’ and territorially unbounded."

To which i would respond, well, Fukuyama was obviously wrong about history culminating in liberal democracy. we have known that since the advent of the proletarian class. the question that needs to be asked though is whether it is even possible to subvert a totalised system in the 21st century? that is the reality that left intellectuals don't want to deal with. resistance is compartmentalised, commoditised, ghettoised, restricted to a subculture. in a very real sense we actually live in the subconscious culmination of stalinism. but the authoritarian violence employed against us is no longer kinetic. virtual violence, stay in your lane, will suffice. I think abstract music can be what Blissblogger describes but earthy music is just as evasive of reality today. post-punk died a long time ago.

Any resistance to capitalism as a totalised system will have to be an extremely sharp and condensed break. it will have to spread over the worlds cities in the space of a couple of months at the very maximum. People talk about post-fordism but really music crit hasn't fully dealt with just-in-time lean production. any fantasies of a [proletarian dictatorship holding out in one country are utterly delusional and will just reinstate the private property integument. the working class aren't stupid to fall to these protectionist corbynist fantasies.

Last edited: