catalog

Alright, down to business.

Preface

This will be a ‘top ten’ list of sorts, but instead of ten tracks I will have ten entries, based on releases. I am mostly focusing on singles as opposed to albums to make that easier, but mentioning them for context along the way. The entries aren’t hierarchically ranked, but listed chronologically, in a kind of highlight reel of a 20-year span of his career. It definitely concentrates heavily around the ‘91-93 era, but this is dissensus after all.

I’ll exclude his mega-single and very first solo release “Voodoo Ray” (the other three tracks on which are also impressive ‘88 bangers, with even crisper beats), as its so obvious, much ink has been spilled etc., and most of what should be gleaned about its impact can easily be summed up here:

I will also exclude “Pacific State” so as to not let its sordid history taint my Gerald-centric list, and because the triumphs in his career truly come by way of leaving behind and mercilessly outmoding Massey et al. In its place, the break-up letter “Specific Hate,” his own finished version of the original sporting the ‘Funky Drummer’ break and featuring a vocal sample teasing his ex-group about their apparently sole contribution (“Where’s your saxophone?”), b/w a tune containing snippets of Graham on the phone to Gerald, arguing about “being paid from record companies.” Presumably these were churned out by the latter in between his shifts at McDonald’s.

The List

1)
Gerald was to advance sonically, of course, but his first LP/major release after leaving 808 State, Automanikk (1990), proved he could still beat them at their own game. The swaggering beauty “Subscape” furnishes an excellent example. At this point he’s still somewhat within the same realm of American facsimile, but true to his sources in his inspiration, groping forward alongside them (cf. his meeting with Derrick May to work on the album), whereas a listen back to Utd. State 90 or ex:el evinces a much more pallid and pronouncedly commercial exercise. Also, am I incorrect in hearing a time-stretched vocal sample here?

2) With his first release subsequent to Automanikk, entitled The Sunshine EP (1991), the GCG spaceship has officially left the station. Though released by Columbia off the back of his album, this record presages his signature alchemical ‘Juicebox’ sound, the auspice under which his subsequent output will appear, eventually culminating with the albums 28 Gun Badboy (1993) and Black Secret Technology (1995).

“Anything” inaugurates the sonic pivot boldly and with an explosive new attitude both indebted and alien to his previous American-inflected efforts. That is, it marks his (as much as his native scene’s) becoming-hardcore. This, in my opinion, is arguably his most classic work, ahead of “Voodoo Ray,” his first bad tune. Menacing. Hard to put into words, the record scratch sample articulates it perfectly.

I enjoy the slightly touched-up “2.1” version from a couple years later even more, which adds a few elements including a playfully sampled vocal hook from the titular track off Automanikk.

And although “Disneyband” still has a foot in Gerald’s past, its really quite elegant, some of his best, and ends up on 28 Gun nonetheless.

3) Next are tunes from the Juicebox release Cops (JBOX 003), which was available on white label via Columbia in ‘91. “Cops” has the organic ongoing cross-pollination of hip-hop and dance music in ‘90-91 written all over it, a big bumpin’ beat of meaty breaks with screeching accents and a funky bassline, beautiful hardcore collage nicking its hooked mantra and hectic atmosphere from RoboCop.

“The Trak” was probably the first hardcore breakbeat tune I ever heard and my favorite upon first listening to 28 Gun. With the opening riff you know something good’s coming. Tension builds as the opening bars stop and go, the beats interrupted by stuttering stabs, until opening up in beautiful relief with female crooning vox, atonal clangs and even heavier syncopation. Then its rinse and repeat. It could be sentimental but this one just hits the spot.

4) A tune off Forever Changing (1992), “Got A Feeling,” also featured on 28 Gun and probably my second favorite of the ‘unmixed’ tracklist. Not a ton to say, just a fat track in signature Gerald style, which is also to say its quite the earworm. Mean 303 coming in after a couple minutes.

@dilbert1 what is the 2nd video in the preface please? It's showing an error.

Also does anyone know the samples from Anything, the first version not the second, the sort of dread whispers that first come in about 2/3 of the way through and continue to the end. "anything can happen" i think? and these are not included on 2nd version.

best tune i've not heard from this section is cops.

last one is embarrassing, that vocal sample is awful.