Frank Zappa's Legacy, 25 Years on

luka

Old age is turning your brain to mush. If I did say it it was just for the fun of being rude not cos I meant it.

the ig

I want to hire a Zappa consultant for the day to guide me to the good bits:

past the fatuous and longwinded shooting-fish-in-a-barrel satire, the awful helium-voiced doowop parodies, the creepy and insidious promotion of groupie culture, the fuck-bored with themselves jams going sillybilly at the drop of a hat, the grim doubling down on shoulda-been-there tourbus comedy routines, the acres of vinyl filled with hairbrained half-bollock ideas just coz he could, coz he’s frank z, coz his extended harem of addled fans ‘in on the joke’ lapped it all up. he’s so self-serious - the famously anti-drug hippie and all that, disciplined and productive - yet it’s all whimsy, ultimately, in his world, but with that spoiling self-satisfied smirk always attached, so it all wilts, his dizzy prolixity all born stone dead. i like some of the fret-wanking tbh, but he’s continually rummaging about trying to find excuses for it, constantly flashing a notional superiority to his own acts, pure bad faith on wax. he’s embarrassed actually, and concomitantly supercilious, like a guilty wanky schoolboy, never grew up to fully committed ‘self-indulgence’ like Jerry and his Dead.