luka

Or you got it on tape so you can't skip tracks. you just have to sit there, through all the songs you don't like, until after a while theyve grown on you and now they're your favourites. You young people know nothing of this.

luka

Familiarity. You only own a few albums. It's a limited resource. They're old friends.

luka

You know your music, your small, fairly accidental collection, very well indeed.

luka

Or, you've waited for this new album from your favourite artist for 2 years. That's roughly the album cycle, once every two years. You're excited. It's an event.

luka

You crank up the gramophone and bend your head down to the trumpet, trying to get inside the sound itself

sadmanbarty

on land- that’s cheating because ambient’s just any old shit, doesn't count

guy called gerald- dwarfed in comparison to an actual set from the same time

the idiot- a great ep, ruined by tacking a bunch of rubbishy rock songs after the fist few tracks. it’s not aesthetically coheisve

marble index- there we go, this proves i’m not jsut being a dick. i don’t like it, but i’d argue it works as an album

floyd- wouldn’t it have worked better as one 15 minute suit?

liquid swords- makes the classic wu tang mistake of lumping together the brilliant songs with the comedy, novelty ones. there’s an astonishing EP to be found on liquid swords, it doesn’t work as an album

ok, enough of this.

luka

You open up the tape or cd inlay, read production credits, shout outs and thanks, you read every last tiny printed word on that thing

sadmanbarty

I thought you were going to explain the fundamental, essential thing that means albums can't fulfil their own ambitions though? Explain it to us.

we'll get to that once you lot stop doing this weird "oh of course barty's wrong thing". you guys know i'm right, now lets get to the interesting part

luka

Youve got no internet, no televisions, no friends, no video games, not old enough for the pub, live with your mum, there's no entertainment, it hasn't been invented yet, but the album is there for you. Put it on, feel some emotions, get right into it.

sadmanbarty

Youve got no internet, no televisions, no friends, no video games, not old enough for the pub, live with your mum, there's no entertainment, it hasn't been invented yet, but the album is there for you. Put it on, feel some emotions, get right into it.

no need to get personal

luka

You accept it ain't perfect, what's perfect? Nothing's perfect, the people we love have their flaws also, we love the flaws, they have off days, oh well, a bad track, never mind.

sadmanbarty

if i was starving i'd eat a big mac covered in shit, it doesn't mean it's good food.

droid

speed of life is infinitely more than low as a whole. it aspires and speaks to something far greater. by the second track you're dragged down to horrible, ironic music. it spits in the face of speed of life.

listen to it again and you'll learn that the only two tracks you like on it are speed of life and sound and vision. the rest is at best disposable.

lol. No. Be my wife, always crashing are both great, and the second side is unimpeachable, subterraneans and warszawa are the best tunes. In fact, the only ho hum tune is new career.

Also, there's little to no irony on that record. Its quite earnest.

luka

Feeling a bit fruity? Put on let's get it on. Feeling mopey, delicate, sad, put on blue, feeling like your heart is cold and you've got ptsd from the street life? Put on the infamous. Want to feel the warmth of human kindness, where's your Curtis mayfield? Put one of those on, he'll cheer you up

sadmanbarty

lol. No. ve my wife, always crashing are both great, and the second side is unimpeachable, subterraneans and warszawa are the best tunes. In fact, the only ho hum tune is new career.

Also, there's little to no irony on that record. Its quite earnest.

i've made the same mistake myself in the past. if something has a great first track or a great first few tracks you think it's this amazing album. the realisation eventually comes you only like two tracks. and not even that much.

luka

i've made the same mistake myself in the past. if something has a great first track or a great first few tracks you think it's this amazing album. the realisation eventually comes you only like two tracks. and not even that much.

Let's get it on pulls this crafty trick

Numbers

Not to confuse mulitple threads, but the Caretaker's point on memory (loss) and melancholia, for example, could never been made in a single. It needs an album to tell the whole thing in an observable way. Albums are only useless if they do not serve their point.

droid

But what if you listen to the B-side first?