Gravity's Rainbow

Benny Bunter

I wouldn't mind giving this a go at some point but then I see people on this thread saying it's a baggy stoner novel and it's putting me right off.

DannyL

Wild Horses
And I think it's fair to say an incredibly high standard of writing and invention throughout bearing in mind how long it is.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't really agree that much with the criticisms above tbh. It's certainly overlong and a bit diffuse but the wackiness doesn't annoy me - I like some of the invention it enables (the Banana breakfast comes to mind). Certainly give me this over Conservative vision of the novel like Ian Fucking McEwan any day.

Benny Bunter

Maybe better to start with one of his shorter ones? But then there doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus on which are his best apart from GR.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Reading GR I got a similar sense of rhapsodic maximalism as I did from Ulysses, in terms of how the author has built up so sprawling and varied an acumen of technical knowledge, that they can just drift through their own created world as a multiformal polyglot of sorts, where the reader gets the sense that this generation of technical and atmospheric detail can go on forever. Almost like a fractal, in the sense of there being an infinite realm of detail to explore, but without the self-similarity.

Although I do think Pynchon, just being situated later in history (or later in the metanarrative) and having more to draw from, was deeper down the rabbithole than Joyce - which makes sense, when you consider Joyce in terms of modern literature and Pynchon in terms of postmodern. Ulysses had a sense, to me at least, of grappling with a cosmological orthodoxy, namely Catholicism, whereas GR seemed like such a ground was nowhere to be found, as if the whole thing lacked a sort of center of gravity and could instead propel itself freely in any direction.

woops

is not like other people
Reading GR I got a similar sense of rhapsodic maximalism as I did from Ulysses, in terms of how the author has built up so sprawling and varied an acumen of technical knowledge, that they can just drift through their own created world as a multiformal polyglot of sorts, where the reader gets the sense that this generation of technical and atmospheric detail can go on forever. Almost like a fractal, in the sense of there being an infinite realm of detail to explore, but without the self-similarity.

Although I do think Pynchon, just being situated later in history (or later in the metanarrative) and having more to draw from, was deeper down the rabbithole than Joyce - which makes sense, when you consider Joyce in terms of modern literature and Pynchon in terms of postmodern. Ulysses had a sense, to me at least, of grappling with a cosmological orthodoxy, namely Catholicism, whereas GR seemed like such a ground was nowhere to be found, as if the whole thing lacked a sort of center of gravity and could instead propel itself freely in any direction.
first post that's actually made me feel like finishing this book

version

Moby-Dick's like this too.

DannyL

Wild Horses
If you read the user's guide I posted upthread, you absolutely can see this. The sheer density of the references - it's amazing.

version

A couple of the better articles published for the 50th anniversary.

Also Bloom's intro to his book on Pynchon.

The not unimpressive polemic of Norman Mailer—-that Fascism always lurks where plastic dominates—-is in Pynchon not a polemic but a total vision. Mailer, for all his legitimate status as Representative Man, lacks invention except in Ancient Evenings, and there he cannot discipline his inventiveness. Pynchon surpasses every American writer since Faulkner at invention, which Dr. Samuel Johnson, greatest of Western literary critics, rightly considered to be the essence of poetry or fiction. What can be judged Pynchon’s greatest talent is his vast control, a preternatural ability to order so immense an exuberance at invention. Pynchon’s supreme aesthetic quality is what Hazlitt called gusto, or what Blake intended in his Infernal proverb: “Exuberance is Beauty.”