Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The latest development along these lines is people pumping out films about the products themselves: Tetris, Pop-Tarts, Flamin' Hot Cheetos, the BlackBerry phone and Nike coming up with 'Air Jordan'.
One of my favorite dystopian fantasies is what could be described as 'fandom feudalism' (or 'hyper-consumerism') wherein corporate brands have not just loyal consumer bases, but loyal fan(atic) bases, and these fanatic bases basically serve as ground soldiers in the larger culture war for consumer mindshare, attention being a limited resource.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Sorta like sectarian warfare, but consumers are evangelizing their favorite brands with an effectively religious fervor.

Re: theory fiction, I was actually thinking about using the crypto sector as a narrative vehicle for this, IE every brand would have their own native token, and would essentially have their own micro economy which is fragmentedly embedded within the larger fiat economy.

One annoying truth about the crypto space is that a lot of companies pay out 'bounties' (as in 'bug bounties' in software engineering) in their native tokens, which are usually terminally illiquid. Thankfully the bear market has grinded a lot of this to a halt, but there are still folks in certain developing countries who are likely willing to work for even so dubiously liquid a form of compensation.

version

One of my favorite dystopian fantasies is what could be described as 'fandom feudalism' (or 'hyper-consumerism') wherein corporate brands have not just loyal consumer bases, but loyal fan(atic) bases, and these fanatic bases basically serve as ground soldiers in the larger culture war for consumer mindshare, attention being a limited resource.

Sorta like sectarian warfare, but consumers are evangelizing their favorite brands with an effectively religious fervor.

You're describing K-pop, Harry Styles and Taylor Swift fans.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've been meaning to start a thread on commodified London, a glossy repackaged version of London street culture with the poverty and desperation airbrushed out. A Shoreditch box park vision of creatives in box fresh Nike Airs, smiling, multiracial, good looking and cool exemplified in my mind by an addidas advert that was inescapable on youtube a few months back and soundtracked by Ms Banks-Chat to Mi Gyal.

But don't we have several threads already about a better London?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"“Today what we are experiencing is the absorption of all virtual modes of expression into that of advertising. Advertising effaces any support and any depth, signifying a reabsorption of everything into the surface and plunges us into this stupified, hyperreal euphoria that we could not exchange for anything else.”
I don't think I have ever before seen a sentence with both the word "absorption" and "reabsorption" in it. I have to say I'm a little lost - what's the difference between absorption and reabsorption in this context and what are the things doing the absorbing and re-absorption here?

I was watching telly the other day and this advert for McDonalds came on and it had this girl on a bike - I thought "wow that girl looks a lot like my friend Paloma" and then I saw a dog in her backpack and I thought "Wow that really girl who looks like Paloma is carrying a dog that looks so much like Taco, the dog that Paloma is always carrying around in her backpack. I think I may have mentioned before that I'm really bad at recognising faces... but it finally clicked and even I understood that it had to be Paloma. So naturally enough I took some pictures of the advert and put them on Instagram with some mild pisstaking.

Then I got a message from Paloma asking me to take the pictures down.

Actually, she's clearly uncomfortable about it, I should probably protect her name, let's just call her P Lopez from now on

Anyway, she said this

Hey rich! Hehe this was funny

I wanted to ask u tho if youd mind maybe taking it down? Im feeling a bit funny about it being in places other than just tv

I can't remember what I said but somehow I doubt it was that funny. I guess she was trying to flatter me into taking them down. Which I did. But I gotta say that I don't really understand what she's trying to achieve. I don't think that you can be on a national (or is it international? Do you guys get this dog in a bag on a bike advertising McDs?) television advert for one of the world's biggest countries and keep it secret, or even maintain any kind of ownership rights over the pictures.

Cos I'm not an arsehole (in that way) I just took 'em down and said "fine" but I was thinking "what the fuck are you playing at P?" and I really wanted to interrogate her about it and attack the inconsistencies of her stance.

Anyway, it was very much a magically cleaned up version of Lisbon, I didn't even recognise it at first.

luka

well, it's not my sentence hence the quote marks. its from simulacra and simulation which is a fictional book from my favourite film, the matrix

Leo

I don't think I have ever before seen a sentence with both the word "absorption" and "reabsorption" in it. I have to say I'm a little lost - what's the difference between absorption and reabsorption in this context and what are the things doing the absorbing and re-absorption here?

I was watching telly the other day and this advert for McDonalds came on and it had this girl on a bike - I thought "wow that girl looks a lot like my friend Paloma" and then I saw a dog in her backpack and I thought "Wow that really girl who looks like Paloma is carrying a dog that looks so much like Taco, the dog that Paloma is always carrying around in her backpack. I think I may have mentioned before that I'm really bad at recognising faces... but it finally clicked and even I understood that it had to be Paloma. So naturally enough I took some pictures of the advert and put them on Instagram with some mild pisstaking.

Then I got a message from Paloma asking me to take the pictures down.

Actually, she's clearly uncomfortable about it, I should probably protect her name, let's just call her P Lopez from now on

Anyway, she said this

I can't remember what I said but somehow I doubt it was that funny. I guess she was trying to flatter me into taking them down. Which I did. But I gotta say that I don't really understand what she's trying to achieve. I don't think that you can be on a national (or is it international? Do you guys get this dog in a bag on a bike advertising McDs?) television advert for one of the world's biggest countries and keep it secret, or even maintain any kind of ownership rights over the pictures.

Cos I'm not an arsehole (in that way) I just took 'em down and said "fine" but I was thinking "what the fuck are you playing at P?" and I really wanted to interrogate her about it and attack the inconsistencies of her stance.

Anyway, it was very much a magically cleaned up version of Lisbon, I didn't even recognise it at first.

the difference is probably that she's anonymous in the national/international TV spot but identified by name in your IG post.

IdleRich

IdleRich
the difference is probably that she's anonymous in the national/international TV spot but identified by name in your IG post.

As it happens I didn't mention her name. I just put a load of pictures saying how cruel it was to carry a dog like that.... hmm, maybe that was what pissed her off come to think of it. It's actually the girlfriend of that guy from Zoroa... Zoarasta... Zo... that fucking band.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

sufi

lala
As it happens I didn't mention her name. I just put a load of pictures saying how cruel it was to carry a dog like that.... hmm, maybe that was what pissed her off come to think of it. It's actually the girlfriend of that guy from Zoroa... Zoarasta... Zo... that fucking band.
doxxed?

Reactions: Leo

Leo

luka

woops starred in a mcdonalds advert. they didn't pay him loads. did one for the sun newspaper too. hes got a unique look.

Leo

A non-actor friend was in a Sonic commercial (another fast food joint), they spotted him at the station while he was waiting for the train home one day.