forclosure

20) Atomhead - SFV 2.0

*aghast!* 'how'w'w'w'w'w?'

Oh, you young whippersnapper. you ain't seen nothing yet. speedcore meets musique concrete. and hopefully there will be a day when vr technology will allow us to go much, much harder...

this is probably the first time(maybe only time) ive ever liked any gabber and it sounds like the kinda shit certain scientists are trying to do where they turn brain waves into music n that

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
88) Tigers in Space - Untitled Revolution.

Seminal slab of proto-darkside from Hype in 90. probably his hardest tune with some deranged bleeps over a bassline which must have sounded utterly psychotic at the time.

this is hardcore.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
89) Noise Factory - My Mind

In terms of sheer schizophrenic mania, this one is hard to top. what a way to start a label. pioneering. foundational.

luka

Woebot once made a compilation of all the noise factory stuff, burned it to cd and generously handed them out to all of us. I've still got it somewhere.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
90) SMF - Twisted Bungle

Drexciya in landan town. one of the strangest records to come out of the 92-94 explosion. encapsulates soulful sophistication and sheer headfuck perfectly.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so we have arrived at the last 10.

the reunification of the circle. the comedown and the post-come up. the attainment of nirvana but also being grounded in earthly reality. the beginning of the end, the turkish terminators soul, and its chatterbox futurist destruction.

What may it be

You will have to wait for that.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not had time to listen to these selections or read the accompanying comments from third in proper depth but I have been thrilled by what I've read of course and what I love most about it is how it differs from craner's in all sorts of ways, is a manifesto which is the opposite of impersonal. I suspect my taste converges more with Craner than third (although third has championed music which I used to be into or am quietly into, and as others have said we needed an attack on our dissensian consensus, sorely), but what I've listened to on here is amazing. Like Luka, Third is uncompromising, rarely sentimental, and makes you feel almost ashamed of your susceptibility to sugar.

Rambling on now but big up Third and Craner. All my favourite music writers are on dissensus and I can't imagine such exciting and weird ideas appearing in any music press I'm aware of.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
74) Elephant Man - Shizzle Ma Nizzle.

Huge when it come out. get this version on the ragga ragga ragga 16 comp. ricochet heart palpitations techno. love the switch ups as well which were common around this time. evil bass pulses as well.

'And him don't waan fi suck di gal dem capizzle / Mad dem wid yuh cute face, Sister Camizzle Nuff a dem a nuh crackhead, dem a capizzle'

CLASSIC.

This one e.g.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
91) A Guy called Gerald - Nazinji/Zaka

The first rhythms came from Africa and the completely dissociated urban tension was first perfected in Manchester by a black man. the most avant-garde record of the 90s, and it isn't even drill n bass. all sounds smeared into an ice cold remove - a distant alien chatter. whilst the drums nervously hammer in rhythmic counterpoint. it is defeat you must prepare for. this, before later 90s dnb, was the consummate eroticisation of anxiety. and that is necessary. without anxiety one cannot live. why am I here?

As a document of your mind playing tricks on you, this is unsurpassed. Brutal jazz funk. simultaneously the most raviest and the most anti-rave record in this list.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
92) Chief Keef - Wheres Waldo

Terry Riley in hell. a new kind of free associational flow. simultaneously fixed to the coordinates of being a catchy song yet totally subverting those conventions. ad libs as a perpetual stalker. start stop machine gun rhythm. as something with semi-crossover appeal, this is really out there for the 2010s, more than a lot of leftfield club music that is lionised beyond all belief. an aesthetic, like darkside hardcore, that is totally cognisant of its social production. if those coral stabs don't creep you out then i dunno what will.

nihilistic dub, maaaan.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
93) EEK (Islam Chipsy) Kahraba

The noise of melody. Egyptian festival music for the internet generation. this isn't muhammad abdul wahab, it isn't cheb khaled either. it's like mainlining magma. listen carefully and there's even a hint of sentimentality there. Oh, the two drummers are stupid good as well. always darting
and flurrying but never falling behind.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
95) Else Marie Pade - Illustrationer: Himmelrummet

Nocturnal stomach churning post-war ambient. She was actually a fighter in the Danish resistance against the nazis which makes the emotions in her work even more intangible. lonely solitary nights, yet possessing a feminin grace and elegance. gothic, cathedral-like, yet beautifully geometric, in spite (or because) of that. an undersung pioneer in electroacoustic music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
96) Pod (Kenny Larkin) - Northern Lights

Aching detroit melancholy. post-romantic hyper machine soul. like the detroit dream of fast cars is over. the only way is space...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
97) meli'sa Morgan - Fools Paradise

The last soul song ever. the plastic and the electric fighting for dominance of the stage with her. what a delivery. some things just have to come to an end. a love letter to a forthcoming funeral.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
98) Zapp and Roger - Computer Love

The saddest song ever. no compromises. the lost utopianism of the internet. unsung classic when everyone was listening to Depech Mode. God knows why. 30 years ahead of its time.