M.I.A. what is the big deal?

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
<i>Where's somewhere obscure?</i>

'Tripwire' definitely sounds like it comes from a former Soviet Bloc country. Uzbekistan is possible, especially considering the Asian musical influences (heavy use of pentatonic scales) yet somehow seems at odds with the urban feel of Tripwire? Maybe somewhere in the Ukraine? Estonia?

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Canada J Soup said:
<i>Where's somewhere obscure?</i>

'Tripwire' definitely sounds like it comes from a former Soviet Bloc country. Uzbekistan is possible, especially considering the Asian musical influences (heavy use of pentatonic scales) yet somehow seems at odds with the urban feel of Tripwire? Maybe somewhere in the Ukraine? Estonia?
Estonia is too small for it to be realistic I think, Ukraine's much better. Or better yet - White Russia (what's it called in english, Belarus or something?). In that case it could be an underground sound in opposition to the oppressive regime. + the country is practically one big industrial wasteland (or so it seems hearing about it), giving the music a lot of ghetto credibility.

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
Okay...I know nothing of this tripwire stuff. Is this a UK version of chopped and screwed? jus' curious. I wanna check it. Links?

zhao

there are no accidents
MIA is alright. there's a time and place for more sugery versions of the "true" underground. but I think she should use more asian sounds and melodies.

Tripwire is old news. I've been into it for 6 months now and it's wearing a bit thin. the main heads in the scene are all doing way too much designer drugs and it's beginning to show.

the new global urban sound is Dinosour. or Dino for short. ya heard? this is the next big thing. recognize!!!

afrobongo

Third Worldist
Ukraine is much better...

Sound of a new revolution

New found freedom and stuff..

"this what the youth started to make in underground clubs at night between 2 protests"

plus i'm ukrainian and i can help y'all with fake names and location and stuff...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
news just in: MIA's new single includes a tripwire remix. Apparently, judging by the message boards, Tripwire scenesters are livid

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
messageboards? The ONLY true TripYR communication is on shortwave radio in declassified Soviet code.

S

simon silverdollar

we need to decide what kind of drug the tripwire scene is based around.

i favour something really nasty, like amyl nitrate suppositories.

any suggestions?

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
simon silverdollar said:

any suggestions?
How about mescaline or peyote? Both nasty, both fit with the "trip" in TripYR.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I hear that the Tripwire kids are all into "CK One" lines...one part Crystal Meth, one part Ketamine.

Also, they make music using home made synths and samplers, having all done electronics courses while on national service. It sounds like Venetian Snares doing Grime (having only ever read about it online) with Ukrainian / Belorussian folk chants and rapping over the top.

jeffthedeaf

Tripwire is SOOOO last year. The new thing is Deep Guinean Electro-Cuntsmash-Splash Dub. Its big in W5 only and because the majority of the music is based around one note played constantly for ten minutes with a braying donkey for backing, clubs have refused to hold events. This has led to a flourishing illegal rave scene, based mostly in a back garden frequented by tramps, hippies and Guardian columnists. Apparently its so cutting edge that there was only one blog about it, and that disappeared in a cloud of controversy after the death of an old man who lived 10 doors away from an illegal Cuntsmash party.

If you want to find out more speak to DJ Oognack Click Pop, though because he chewed off his own tongue and smashes his face into a wall every 5 minutes, you may not get much sense out of him. Apparently he has also influenced a new fashion trend, with people wearing 3rd hand blazers (not those second hand posh ones from Oxfam) and jeans with rips THAT ARE NATURAL and not created by the owner. Tenants Super is also witnessing a rise in sales in some Chelsea bars as the phenomenon takes off.

martin

----
simon silverdollar said:

any suggestions?

Chloroform

You know that girl who fell off the balcony earlier in the week? It was in the Evening Standard. All the onlookers said she looked high as a kite. What someone with some music journo contacts should do is say that it was a Tripwire party and that this is the inevitable outcome. I know its a bit early to start the media moral panic, but you can't waste opportunities like that

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
How about ephedrone?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,610319,00.html

The orgy has lasted 10 days. Fourteen gaunt addicts, cramped together in a bare flat in the shattered ruins of a Soviet tower block, repeatedly inject themselves with the drug that they have distilled over candles from cough mixture, aspirin and vinegar. The hits are sharp, highly addictive and propel everyone into a sexual frenzy.

The effects are so short-lived, everyone has to inject at 40-minute intervals - more than 30 times a day. Veins quickly get torn and they have to inject into every accessible blood vessel in the body - in the arms, legs, neck, genitals.

A government film, shot secretly from a cupboard, shows that during the 10 days of the orgy the addicts get no sleep and eat little. They collapse for a week and the cycle starts again.

With shared needles and no condoms, almost all ephedrone addicts are HIV-positive. But it doesn't matter to them. The drug is so harsh on the body that addicts invariably die within three years as their organs simply collapse.

The ephedrone epidemic started sweeping Moldova, Europe's most shattered nation, five years ago, offering the only escape for a people who have given up hope.

How about that, eh?