IdleRich

IdleRich
When it was within two hundred thousand after the first preference I thought Ken might get it on the second preference. For some reason I thought he would pick up loads more than Boris from the lib dems and the greens and what-nots which greatly outnumbered the far right vote which was going to switch to Boris. Turns out I was wrong.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
ffs.

I actually left the city just before it was announced, so that's a plus anyway. This would've never happened in Edinburgh.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
In other news, the election results from Lower Shrimpington-by-Restofthecountry show Labour's worst results in 40 years and in terms of councils they're now third, a percentage point behind the Lib Dems!
One thing that's interesting about this is that they're taking genuine damage in traditional strongholds - Sheffield, Wakefield, the Welsh valleys etc. I guess the only surprising thing about this is that it's taken so long, but you have to wonder if they're going to have to change their approach of chasing middle englanders in key constituencies and assuming that their traditional supporters will put up with any old shit because that's what they do.

crackerjack

One thing that's interesting about this is that they're taking genuine damage in traditional strongholds - Sheffield, Wakefield, the Welsh valleys etc. I guess the only surprising thing about this is that it's taken so long, but you have to wonder if they're going to have to change their approach of chasing middle englanders in key constituencies and assuming that their traditional supporters will put up with any old shit because that's what they do.

They won't.

Middle England is where it's at - it's they who read the papers (esp the Heil) that set the news agenda, they who vote, and they who delivered this result.

The change to the 10p rate is universally unpopular and they'll get rid of it, if possible. for the rest - expect a list of Mondeo man's gripes to be drawn up and catered to.

mixed_biscuits

You lot are rather naive - the buffoonery is the mark of a smart man always willing to put up a fight against the tedium that threatens to overcome us all. It's full-headedness rather than empty-headedness.

The boring bits of taking care of London can be delegated to various drones, leaving Boris to work his random magic. I'm looking forward to it (especially as I don't live in the capital ;))

In any case, Boris has promised that it will be the sensible, 'new Boris' in charge, not 'Boris'-Boris.

I'm quite pleased that if there's one thing that Boris can be trusted to do, it's not to make London a crony-driven Marxist city state thingummyjig.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
body_snatchers_080128110655013_wideweb__300x210.jpg

Karl Kraft

This is what decade Boris is living in..

http://www.politicos.co.uk/books/214976/Boris-Johnson/The-Dream-of-Rome/

"..travelling throughout the Roman Empire in order to uncover the secrets of the governance of the empire, and the reasons behind why the Romans held such power and prestige for so long. Fiercely interested in Europe and the current issues facing the European Union, Boris Johnson will look at the lessons we could learn from the Romans and how we could apply them to our modern politics.."

Especialy looking fwd to the gladiotorial combats in 2012..
Familiarity with Doric pillars is one thing, but u know exactly what the ugly reasons are behind the public school fascination with Rome are..

ether

spoke to a mate on the phone on Saturday who works in a shitty office job in central London he said his bosses where celebrating with champagne as the news came in. looked round to see loads of office workers looking really apprehensive.

can you seriously imagine Boris dealing with the mayhem of a recession, a terrorist attack or even the Olympics. what a bafoon.

makes me want to do a
006.jpg
if the tories get in next election.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Moving to Scotland and voting SNP / pushing for independance is starting to look almost like sensible option. The tories would be all up for Scottish independence because they'd then be left running tings in England and Wales, and the Scottish government would end up well to the left of where Westminster is now. The only downside is that you'd then be in an oil rich left-leaning democracy, and would probably get fucked over by the CIA...

bassnation

the abyss
i dislike the tories as much as anyone, but seriously, what are you going to do as an alternative? vote for the party that bombed baghdad, that turned a blind eye to torture, that refused to condemn the shelling of lebanon? the system is broken cos theres evidently no real alternative. so the only choice is to chuck them out, even if there are marginally worse parties waiting to take their place. anything other than that will be interpretated by them as supine endorsement of their policies. only a fool thinks voting changes anything. our ancestors died for this right and they've responded by making it meaningless. people should wake up and see whats going on.

mixed_biscuits

I got that impression from the Dispatches thing on him - he was filling all his important positions with old activist mates and spending disproportionate time currying favour internationally.