version

I'm probably restating a point that's already been made here, but isn't the thing with stuff like The Dead that it's intended as an accompaniment to the psychedelic experience rather than a psychedelic experience in its own right? It's music for people who are tripping, not music to make people trip.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Some of The Deep - Psychedelic Moods LP (from '66, first record to use "psychedelic" in its title) has some genuinely unearthly moments, but it's still basically garage-pop with weird noises mixed in:

Beat of the Earth is a primal trance-rock thing from '67, pre-empting a lot of the German stuff:

The Christian Yoga Church LP from '67 captures that early-morning acid-daze feeling for me:

Of course none of these records were successful enough to make it into the dad-canon.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I suppose the Third Ear Band were just stealing a lot from Indian and North African music, but at times it has this blissed out but edging-into-dissonance vibe that I'd call genuinely psychedelic:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I think another point regarding Floyd, Dead etc. is that they played louder than was previously the norm. Not something that can really be heard through today's ears, but volume+lights+drugs = easy shortcut to overload.

version

I think another point regarding Floyd, Dead etc. is that they played louder than was previously the norm. Not something that can really be heard through today's ears, but volume+lights+drugs = easy shortcut to overload.

"Plug your ears! Watch out for your ears! Watch out for your ears, okay?"

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Also this is about as hackneyed and uncool as 60s psych gets, but it's much wilder than most of the private press stuff that get hyped:

mvuent

Void Dweller
are there any books on music/art/culture in the 60s that anyone itt would recommend? not necessarily on psychedelia, just something in between boomer-targeted rock star biographies and smart person academic stuff. like energy flash but about the 60s. been meaning to ask this for a while.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Haven't read it but white bicycles by Joe boyd is supposed to be pretty good. Apparently he's one of the few who actually remember it

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
You ever heard Third by the Soft Machine, padraig?
I have, yeah. 100% no thanks. not a judgment on you or anyone else liking it.

I like some of Kevin Ayers solo records, and a couple Robert Wyatt tracks

that's as far as I go with Soft Machine related material

not my bag

padraig (u.s.)

What is the point, just out of interest ?
hey luke

well partially it's subjective, as with any psychedelic experience

but beyond that cop-out, your question was mostly answered upthread I think

60s psychedelic culture was about the opening up of possibilities

mostly for yr typical middle class white types, admittedly, tho it did eventually - like, decades on - filter down to other people and areas

the problem is conflating that with what is (mostly retroactively) termed "psych"

at the same time it was a liberatory culture, the psychedelic was a commercialized, monetized trend in the second half of the 60s

"psychedelic" as marketing

there's also the passage of time inevitably dulling culture/future shock, as has also been explored in this thread

things that were considered legitimately far out at the time come across to us as quaint, ridiculous, whatever

padraig (u.s.)

so to look at the "point" of 60s psychedelia I would look at the eventual longer-term effects of the psychedelic being integrated (and/or released? idk) into mass culture

actual "dad canon psychedelia" is more of a quaint period artefact

it's "psychedelic" label is partially record collector thing - that's what people have agreed to call it - and partially because of its temporal proximity to the actually psychedelic

padraig (u.s.)

so when I say it's "missing the point"

what I mean is there's not much point in asking how are the Doors, Beatles, etc psychedelic

they're not, mostly. that's not the point.

padraig (u.s.)

looking at the OP, I see Barty + I agree on "Tomorrow Never Knows" as being fundamentally different from most 60s dad canon psychedelia, so clearly there's some common ground

I don't mean to come across unduly combative

I have in general much respect for freewheeling barty/luka discourse

this just happens to be something I know a lot about, and I think you were starting from an incorrect premise

can't build a house of cards on an uneven surface

padraig (u.s.)

<3 this record
yeah it's pretty good. mostly just guitar pop, but there is a kind of wooziness in the main guitar riff, like it's slowed down somehow/not quite at the right speed.

as covered by late 70s D.C. psych garage punk types the Slickee Boys. I like how the guitar still sounds too slow (in a cool way), even with overall tempo turned up.