shakahislop

the thing i keep coming back to is: how can something so catastrophic continue and the US public be so muted in response? they are murdering tens of thousands of children from the air, and starving the rest. it isn't ambiguous. i think the answer is essentially distance and failures of mediation. old news of course but still

shakahislop

dispatches from the nyc symbol street wars:

i) a busker next to the marcy ave station in williamsburg had little isreali, puerto rican and US flags on his mic stand
ii) one of the main buildings on the nyc skyline, that was lit up in ukranian colours in 2022 and 2023, is now lit up (every night i think) with the colours of the israeli flag

dilbert1

Puerto Rico is US territory. Ukraine and Israel are both US allies. How are these symbols clashing? Patriotic buskers and war propaganda in America’s biggest metropolis.

shakahislop

I see. Patriotism abounds as the backdrop to the protests?
yeah basically. i'm not american, i've been surprised throughout the last six months to see how visible the support for israel has been on the east coast (stuff like this, roadside billboards saying stupid shit like 'HAMAS IS COMING TO GET YOU NEXT', youtube ads). it's partly the US penchant for public political symbols which is new for a foreigner. but it's pretty dark having that around given the reality of the situation.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the thing i keep coming back to is: how can something so catastrophic continue and the US public be so muted in response? they are murdering tens of thousands of children from the air, and starving the rest. it isn't ambiguous. i think the answer is essentially distance and failures of mediation. old news of course but still

Why? most orientalists (and I mean researchers, academics, archeologists) rather than an Edward Said style pejorative would and are shit scared to live in the middle east without their self-cocooning western identity and privileges.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
dispatches from the nyc symbol street wars:

i) a busker next to the marcy ave station in williamsburg had little isreali, puerto rican and US flags on his mic stand
ii) one of the main buildings on the nyc skyline, that was lit up in ukranian colours in 2022 and 2023, is now lit up (every night i think) with the colours of the israeli flag
on twitter you can usually recognise right wing trolls cos they have these emoji's in their handle 🇪🇺🇺🇦🇮🇱

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
oh you're probably right, these are just the ones that i come across most in my timeline, continental europeans.
I think the further east you go in Europe, the more reason people have for being violently anti-Russian.

Obviously there's no excuse for supporting Israel, that's just obscene.

shakahislop

Why? most orientalists (and I mean researchers, academics, archeologists) rather than an Edward Said style pejorative would and are shit scared to live in the middle east without their self-cocooning western identity and privileges.
are they? i know a load of people who've been 'into' that part of the world and who've gone and lived there for years. usually jordan and lebanon and egypt or kurdistan (the iraq one). quite a few in the rougher places as well. i don't think you get taken that seriously unless you've done that

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
are they? i know a load of people who've been 'into' that part of the world and who've gone and lived there for years. usually jordan and lebanon and egypt or kurdistan (the iraq one). quite a few in the rougher places as well. i don't think you get taken that seriously unless you've done that

It's not a case of rough and less rough areas. By virtue of being a westerner you are always given preferential treatment.

shakahislop

It's not a case of rough and less rough areas. By virtue of being a westerner you are always given preferential treatment.
dunno. sometimes it's the exact opposite, you get treated much worse. definitely your race and nationality changes how you're treated. but that's the same almost everywhere. you're probably basically right though

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
dunno. sometimes it's the exact opposite, you get treated much worse. definitely your race and nationality changes how you're treated. but that's the same almost everywhere. you're probably basically right though

nah trust me you're never treated worse unless you'rean idiot yank who leaves their passport in their wardrobe or an Israeli who keeps advertising about the sunni rebels she's interviewed and then gets kidnapped by a shia militia. Just don't scream on twitter lads.