luka

Well we live in a society. but if you want to leave aside the archetype as it has manifested in popular culture up to now and rebuild it for today, then let's do that. Why not?

And probably, thinking about it, there are many examples of this which are female. Millions. The female as what is lacked and denied. The feminine itself as destroyer and rejuvenator of patriarchy become rigid and stalled.

luka

Popularised by eg marija gimbutas and riane eisler. The sort of thing you can find informing stuff like Alan moores promethea

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not read that article i linked to but Demolition Man is a great shout

He teaches the future to fuck

poetix

we murder to dissect
Lars von Trier's heroines disrupt through victimhood - they suffer excessively, melodramatically, drawing upon themselves all the sins of a patriarchal world. I've always hated him and his films, but I think it's interesting in this context to consider a form of disruption that isn't centred on virile agency but on a sort of power of crystallisation.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Good point - drugs are disruptors.

The monolith in 2001 is a disruptor, isn't it? (Pull Eyes Wide Shut into this nexus.)

I suppose I'm in danger of making this too general - because disruption is the essence of drama, isn't it? (They say conflict, but disruption implies the status quo coming into conflict with something new, be it malignant or benevolent)

luka

Good point - drugs are disruptors.

The monolith in 2001 is a disruptor, isn't it? (Pull Eyes Wide Shut into this nexus.)

I suppose I'm in danger of making this too general - because disruption is the essence of drama, isn't it? (They say conflict, but disruption implies the status quo coming into conflict with something new, be it malignant or benevolent)

Well this is always the danger with these things isn't it. It's why it's a tricky game to play well. Get too diffuse and you're left holding nothing at all.

luka

DescriptionBilly Beane (Brad Pitt), general manager of the Oakland A's, one day has an epiphany: Baseball's conventional wisdom is all wrong. Faced with a tight budget, Beane must reinvent his team by outsmarting the richer ball clubs. Joining forces with Ivy League graduate Peter Brand (Jonah Hill), Beane prepares to challenge old-school traditions. He recruits bargain-bin players whom the scouts have labeled as flawed, but have game-winning potential. Based on the book by Michael Lewis.

luka

We can talk more generally about disruption too. I want to know the history, the provenance, the popularisers, the theorists. Tell me about it.

poetix

we murder to dissect
My earlier comment about speed, moving ahead of history, introducing intolerable velocities etc was a nod to Baudrillard (who I've read) and Virilio (who I haven't). Baudrillard's fatal strategies are kind of accelerationist gambits, pushing things to the limit to bring about collapse.

sadmanbarty

Maybe there’s an element of it being “the man” appropriating the aesthetic of revolution.

Feigning being paradigm shifting while largely working within the system.

version

Does the disruptor themselves have to behave disruptively or can they just be the inadvertent catalyst or facilitator?