Leo

you've got a lot going on, tea. you're allowed to eat leftovers or fast food.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Went for a walk and finished off our tallegio and pumpkin tart in this sort of wasteland area in-between where we live and Lisbon. Was nice.

20191106_163203.jpg

20191106_163209.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wonder if DMT and MSG could react together in vivo to synthesise some wholly new gustatory entheogen?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
You'd think so, right? They do have some types but the UK really mastered it. Big flaky pastry etc.

My kingdom for a Greggs.

IdleRich

IdleRich
From living in Southern Europe we've become very conscious of what seems like a north/south divide in terms of cuisines. The northern ones we have experience of (UK, Russia and Germany) have many similarities - even if at times we don't eat the same things we often eat something that fulfills the same role and has a similar taste and heaviness. We enjoy going to the German supermarkets here (got Aldi and Lidl in my town) cos even though they have obviously been adapted to Portuguese tastes they still contain a number of northern foods that we either ate at home or which remind us of things we ate at home. That said I can't immediately think of a German pie thing either.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Er and Portugal and Spain have empanadas which are like miniature chicken pies and which totally undermines my argument.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Meat wrapped in pastry is a cultural universal. Pork pies, Cornish pasties, Jamaican patties, empañadas, samosas...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
From living in Southern Europe we've become very conscious of what seems like a north/south divide in terms of cuisines. The northern ones we have experience of (UK, Russia and Germany) have many similarities - even if at times we don't eat the same things we often eat something that fulfills the same role and has a similar taste and heaviness...

Also similar shit grows in regions with similar climates.

Some countries just spent more time developing their cuisine more than others, and Germany definitely isn't one of them. The UK is a bit better. But mostly due to imports

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nah, Germany has loads of great food, always annoys me when people say otherwise.
But I don't just mean the same food - I mean that in both Russia and England they will eat the same kind of thing at the same kind of time even though the actual food might not be the same, there is something about the style that is the same and that also applies to Germany... but not here in the South.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched that programme about weird foods when they went through Alsace region finding loads of amazing looking local dishes. I'd really like to visit just for that. I mean I know that's not proper typical Germany but still.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I do like German food. It's hearty and comforting, but it's just not as interesting or varied as the South of Europe, imo.

What German foods do you like?