The Art of Advertising

IdleRich

IdleRich
to use a horrible phrase, this is in my wheelhouse. but I feel a resistance to contributing, too overloaded with it all day at work. I come here to escape that world.
You are right, I dunno what it is but something about that phrase irritates the fuck out of me.
Apple's "1984" was also famous for being aired only once, during the Super Bowl that year. It was so unlike any other ad before it and made such a huge splash during the most watched annual TV event that it got written about in the press and discussed for months and years afterwards (all at no cost to Apple).
I understand that the superbowl half-time ad has become a bigger and bigger deal with people talking about it for ages in advance - in fact it seems to generate more interest than the game itself. It's obviously a great idea to put an advert in the middle of something that people feel compelled to watch but which has relatively little entertainment value (kind of like the US version of the queen's speech but seven hours longer), that means the advert will be watched by loads and can't help but look good in comparison.

IdleRich

IdleRich
our phone camera will track your eyeballs to make sure you're actually watching. "What it does is it basically creates a transaction between you and the brand."

This is annoying, I always feel I'm beating unskippable ads by leaving the room, making tea or having a wee... guess that won't be an option soon.

Leo

You are right, I dunno what it is but something about that phrase irritates the fuck out of me.

I understand that the superbowl half-time ad has become a bigger and bigger deal with people talking about it for ages in advance - in fact it seems to generate more interest than the game itself. It's obviously a great idea to put an advert in the middle of something that people feel compelled to watch but which has relatively little entertainment value (kind of like the US version of the queen's speech but seven hours longer), that means the advert will be watched by loads and can't help but look good in comparison.

The Super Bowl half-time has just one sponsor. It's huge visibility, since the big stars attract viewers who don't care about the game.

But the Super Bowl ad frenzy is also about any ads during the game. Ad agencies now create entire promotional campaigns around the ads: they release teasers 2-3 weeks before the game, leak out details to the press on which stars are in them, then usually release the actual ad online the week before, supported by PR and social media pushes. you can go online right now and see pretty much all of the SB ads that will air during the game on Sunday.

So instead of just getting lots of viewers during the game, they get a week's worth of exposure and conversation about the ad and brand prior to the game, plus all the viewers at the game.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Super Bowl half-time has just one sponsor. It's huge visibility, since the big stars attract viewers who don't care about the game.

But the Super Bowl ad frenzy is also about any ads during the game. Ad agencies now create entire promotional campaigns around the ads: they release teasers 2-3 weeks before the game, leak out details to the press on which stars are in them, then usually release the actual ad online the week before, supported by PR and social media pushes. you can go online right now and see pretty much all of the SB ads that will air during the game on Sunday.

So instead of just getting lots of viewers during the game, they get a week's worth of exposure and conversation about the ad and brand prior to the game, plus all the viewers at the game.
Yeah this is what I mean, the whole thing has taken on a life of its own beyond the sport. Or unrelated to the sport. And you have the half time show.

I remember when the World Cup was in the US and there were all these rumours that they were gonna try and put more stops in the game so they could have more ads, or else simply have ad breaks during the game and you just had to hope nothing happened... that was a step too far. Football is ultra capitalist but fucking with tge game so Americand could watch more ads was unthinkable. The game might exist to sell advertising but we can't just openly admit it...

Leo

in american football, basketball and hockey, either team can call a time out, at which point tv networks usually cut away to show ads. but in one of those sports (can't recall which), there's sometimes a thing called "officials time out", which are called by the refs instead of one of the teams. it's like the league provides a covert way to get ads in: in case neither team needed to call time out for an extended period, the refs would step in and give the networks a chance to show ads.

disgraceful, really. shows how money rules sports.

luka

Leo's job is matching the advert with the platform. where to sell to. its a win-win propsition if you get it right.