Do aesthetics map to politics?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Mental health in particular's a difficult knot to unpick. How much of your outlook stems from your illness and how much from the way you've been treated due to said illness?

version

Something to keep in mind with philosophers, artists, etc. How universal is their worldview, really? Came up in the catastrophe thread re: Ballard's very cynical, very Freudian view of human nature.

mixed_biscuits

Our best selling Face Food now has an Unscented version for extra sensitive skin types. Same amazing creamy formula, without the aroma blend (from essential oils). We have called it ‘Unscented’ but it still has an oaty/earthy/cocoa buttery smell from the rest of the natural organic ingredients.
It is packed with carefully selected high-quality organic and vegan ingredients. It is everything the skin needs to detox, repair and rejuvenate, and great for tired, stressed or dehydrated faces. It is also known to help with problem skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, as well as prematurely ageing skin. This face cream is also very popular amongst our customers with mature skin.
Refill Option: Our new upgraded refill sachets are even more eco than our previous design. It is lightweight, less materials and 100% recyclable.
These new sachets are 25ml:
- 1 x 25ml for £18
- 2 x 25ml for £36 £32

KEY INGREDIENTS​

A blend of 10 potent certified organic oils goes into Face Food: Thistle, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Apricot Kernel, Japanese Camellia Seed, Hemp, Argan, Borage and Tamanu. It also uses a combination of powerful active ingredients such as Lupine Seed Extract, Hyaluronic Acid Eco (Vegan/Ecocert approved), Aloe Vera and Provitamin B5 to give this product a super luxurious feel as it penetrates the skin - you will notice a plump and soft finish. These ingredients stabilise and boost the skin’s metabolism, which encourages the production of collagen and elastin. This helps to reduce the depth of stress lines, dark spots and stimulates wound and scar healing.
Other skin loving ingredients include:
Organic Colloidal Oatmeal
Excellent for calming irritation. Great for sensitive skin, eczema and psoriasis *may contain gluten*.
Organic Cocoa Butter Shea Butter
*NOTE:
We swapped cocoa butter with shea butter! They are quite similar but shea butter is creamier in texture in our opinion and has a comedogenic rating of 0-2, which means it can penetrate the skin without clogging pores. It is highly compatible with most skin types and is designed to make stressed and dry skin supple, soft and smooth.
You need to find a cream for all the butthurt on here.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's a good point.

I've read somewhere that the average length of hair grows and shortens according to the economic health of a culture. Under this theory the recession led to a cutback in hair and (I'm spitballing) a tightening of trousers.
I think this theory can be discounted now that I'm seeing longish/long hair making a resurgence among the youth and also giant baggy trousers, despite the economy being in the dumps

luka

I think this theory can be discounted now that I'm seeing longish/long hair making a resurgence among the youth and also giant baggy trousers, despite the economy being in the dumps
i was in the (quite posh) pub near my house recently and all the staff had got at least ten years younger and they looked like teenagers looked in the 90s. diiffident, awkward, gawky, terribly dressed. baggy shapeless clothes that just sort of hung off them. teenagers havent looked or behaved like that in a long time. it was weird.

In a sense there is more than every to play with and people do take risks and are very expressive but all the meaning has been emptied out and it just feels like internet trash. like windows 98 error messages clogging up your screen, fake gambling sites and cuntwars ads, its mental clutter

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Post pandemic there hasn’t been an appropriate amount of time for an informal vetting procedure of mates building up a healthy form of constructive cohort criticism, ie “you can’t wear them/that/those out, you look like a cock” etc

Give it four/five years and we may get past it, at least the days of Robbie Savage ultra-quiffs are over, brrrrr shudder

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i was in the (quite posh) pub near my house recently and all the staff had got at least ten years younger
So they've discovered the Fountain of Eternal Youth, but it has a side-effect that it turns you into an awkward dork.

wild greens

Mental health in particular's a difficult knot to unpick. How much of your outlook stems from your illness and how much from the way you've been treated due to said illness?

I may have said it on here before- who knows- but I think a lot of the modern "mental health awareness" is actually a marketing technique to sell a new spectrum of products where other revenue streams have ebbed away

I don't use amazon but look at the amount of absolute shite in here

"How much of your outlook stems from your illness" vs "How does the media barrage of wellness influence you to attributing minor societal ails to a grander malaise that may or may not actually exist"

Not to belittle those with genuine issues but a lot of this is absolute bollocks

craner

Beast of Burden
i was in the (quite posh) pub near my house recently and all the staff had got at least ten years younger and they looked like teenagers looked in the 90s. diiffident, awkward, gawky, terribly dressed. baggy shapeless clothes that just sort of hung off them. teenagers havent looked or behaved like that in a long time. it was weird.

Yeah, I've really noticed this resurrection of baggy recently

version

I may have said it on here before- who knows- but I think a lot of the modern "mental health awareness" is actually a marketing technique to sell a new spectrum of products where other revenue streams have ebbed away

I don't use amazon but look at the amount of absolute shite in here

"How much of your outlook stems from your illness" vs "How does the media barrage of wellness influence you to attributing minor societal ails to a grander malaise that may or may not actually exist"

Not to belittle those with genuine issues but a lot of this is absolute bollocks

I had genuine mental illness in mind when I made that post, people with things like schizophrenia who may be paranoid due to the illness but also because they've been medicated, institutionalised, arrested, etc.

The mental health awareness / self-care thing's a different kettle of fish, like you say. That seems to be the same old emphasis on "efficiency", "productivity" and "optimisation" wearing a benevolent mask. Same as with the superficial diversity stuff in Hollywood. The human skin designed to conceal the Terminator.

mixed_biscuits

I had genuine mental illness in mind when I made that post, people with things like schizophrenia who may be paranoid due to the illness but also because they've been medicated, institutionalised, arrested, etc.

The mental health awareness / self-care thing's a different kettle of fish, like you say. That seems to be the same old emphasis on "efficiency", "productivity" and "optimisation" wearing a benevolent mask. Same as with the superficial diversity stuff in Hollywood. The human skin designed to conceal the Terminator.
Have you read RD Laing on schizophrenia?

wild greens

Ah sorry that makes a bit more sense now actually

A lad my brother went school with definitely got bent out of shape when he got sectioned, the lad had his problems but once he came out he was a shell of himself; like im not sure he was even "bad enough" to go in, was more a drug psychosis if anything

Very quick slope down that institutional world i think

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

Self-care is at the heart of mental health, ie we all know what the opposite of such means individually (at least some of the time) and we each personalise our own self-care around where the event horizon of the Pit exists, soul capture n all that or restarting drinking whatever individual circumstance

We do this because we’ve often been through the opposite side of self care and witnessed where it takes us, such processes can have merits too of course - leaning in to a problem, going through rather than around, taking higher doses of whatever seeking a breakthrough but it’s playing with fire too

You could do a solid word association list around terms laden with institutionalised allusions, see also ‘sectioned‘ as per WG’s post, unfortunately we still don’t have a mental healthcare system where asylum means just that - you absolutely can go in as extremely vulnerable and come out far far worse because whatever you think of Kesey he was on the nose about Nurse Ratched. Another example is a disciplinary hearing currently attending where staff were leaving a fire alarm on all night disconnecting the emergency access line in the process

8000 deaths, let me write the number for gravitas…. ‘eight thousand deaths’ were recorded under a single regional system for mental health across East Anglia recently, makes you wonder what the national backdrop really is