narcissist barty's techno party

sadmanbarty

its terrible with dancehall because you’ll hear something in a mix and it’ll be brilliant and then when you go to listen to the track on its own, it’s all slow and pitched down and sounds completely dead.

This sounds like that.

I like that annoying little younger brother synth though. Just making obnoxious nasal noises solely to irritate his sister in the back of the car.

sadmanbarty

Apparently this one used to get played sped up at jungle nights by the artier leaning djs (probably Fabio)

there's a masters at work song that samples ini kamoze. i heard it pitched up in a mickey finn set and it was the best thing i'd ever heard. hunted down the tracklist to find it only for it to be bloody awful when it was played at its regular speed

luka

feels like you've got a particular kind of synaesthesia Barty, where sounds, etc etc are not indexed to colors or textures, so much as stock scenes in movies and TV

You've nailed it, yeah. I couldn't put my finger on it but I've noticed it before. Everything becomes cardboard stage-sets and amateur acting once it's filtered through the Barty nervous system.

sadmanbarty

driving at night.

Knowing it’s all cold outside, but your nice and snug with your heater on and all happy and free with your music on.

The car as cocoon. A safe, comfortable, cosy place that you can explore the world in. its an impenetrable armour and a screen.

Not that I can actually drive.

sadmanbarty

a grand hall. Some 17th century European aristocrats house. Gian mirrors. Chandeliers. portraits on the wall. Golden frames.

But for all the wealth there is an emptiness. A loneliness. A room so large it can never offer a sense of intimacy; it only acts to emphasise your isolation. mirrors that reflect back to you an image of your lonely self.ll

luka

You're now familiar with the entirety of techno music so who Would you say is the greatest techno artist of all time?

sadmanbarty

that comedy precision again, but i like the rest though. Norman bates’ smile at the end of psycho (that reference’s for blissblog).

blissblogger

not just stock scenes from films, TV, but also real life scenes / vibes / moments - as with the driving in the warm car one

i have to be honest, i do not actually click on the videos to hear the track in question, i just read Barty's description and take it for granted that he's distilled its essence

or simply that they have a freestanding truth and beauty independent of what's actually triggered them.

they should be in a book, but i suppose it's one of those kind of online-only forms of [cough] textuality that only work in situ - in conjunction with the videos (even if you don't, erm, actually play them)

sadmanbarty

ital rockers, but on a Gameboy.

Like some 90’s straight to video exploitation film where there’s a poltergeist in mccaly culkin’s sega dreamcast.