mvuent

Void Dweller
@mvuent is Joe Meek an audio animator?
considered including him but not really, imo, although he has his moments. the uncanny alien voices on "i hear a new world" stand out. tbh there may be little to no overlap between music i'd put under the "audio animation" banner and music that's part of your usual listening. so if you do slog through the whole series waiting for it to shed some new light on grizzly bear or indian ragas you'll probably be disappointed.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

mvuent

Void Dweller
theres something pleasantly, pantheistic or nature worshippy ab this thread of places having attitudes towards us, landmarks and landscapes as entities (the environment is an agent, angel, aghast, aglow, agon &c).
the ambient/immersive music distinction is also on point, while reclaiming ambient music for "music about ambience" rather than "music setting a preconscious ambience".
itd be nice if "backrooms" stuff was more about this - interminable expanse of once lived in, now emptied prefab spaces. rather than "also a monster is chasing you", which really is quite infantile.
i see a picture of the backrooms and all i want to do is go back there.

some excellent prose reserved for vektroid! -

"if this feeling was somehow preserved and reached another world many years later, a message in a bottle. Despite the tongue in cheek connotations, the promise of the title is genuine: if you listen you’ll be trained in, initiated into the cult of the subterranean. "

i think this paragraph gets at the... emotionally tortured colors and "clandestine game of signifiers" facets of NDL Initiation Tape exceptionally well
very happy to find some consilience w/ you on these points.

i also screenshotted your dhomont "cycles of sound" writeup so that i remember to listen to, with your notes to hand also
it's crazy. it's like a year 3000 reimagining of the european symphonic tradition. which may or may not appeal, obviously. but it's exemplary of a certain vision of what electronic music could be (which i like a lot).

other_life

bioconfused
also only comment on the audio animation piece which was read #2 yesterday is that it's the strongest piece yet next to "the unvoice" (read #1) and feels like it represents a kind of ~phase shift~ in the bigger idea youre developing

mvuent

Void Dweller
i remember his blog, was only thinking aloud that "selected dissensus posts 2018-2024" as compiled by me or another member of the version fanbase could be a fun read

mvuent

Void Dweller
forgot he actually did include a few dissensus posts

• Fire
Reactions: sus