Ninjaman - Bunty Hunter
Beenieman / Bounty Killer - Guns Out
V/A - Ragga Ragga Ragga 2
Shabba Ranks - Just Reality
Jah Shaka - Dub Salute 3

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
michael said:
Disappointed no one's mentioned the guy who embodies US rave culture, who really saved dance music in a sense, Moby!

No mention of Underworld either. All of Dubnobasswithmyheadman and the Born Slippy 12" are classics.

owen

i'd like to think the 'lost generation' post-rock types (disco inferno, seefeel, bark psychosis, hood, early labradford etc) will be in some future canon.

btw, hamarplazt, o oracle of all things punishing and tuetonic, tell me about martin damm- i can find no info on him whatsoever...

S

simon silverdollar

fugazi have got to be in there. and slint, obviously. and will oldham.

and i agree with one of the previous posts that digital hardcore has to be in there: only now all the silly hype and sloganeering is done with can the music really be seen to be as good as it is/was, i think.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
owen said:
btw, hamarplazt, o oracle of all things punishing and tuetonic, tell me about martin damm- i can find no info on him whatsoever...
Damm is better known from his countless pseudonyms: Biochip C, Speed Freak, Steel, Search & Destroy, Phase IV, Cyberchrist, Subsonic 808, RIC etc. What is so amazing about him is his ability to cover almost all kinds of rave and techno music, keeping a perfect balance between scenius accessibility and a personal twist in the sound, making it recognizeable and inimitably him. He made early ("belgian") rave, have been a pioneer of gabber and happy hardcore, and his break beat stuff is up there with the best from the british scene. And then there's the acid and analogoue stuff, and silly house, and experimental electronica, strange things that does't really fit anywhere, as unique as Aphex at his best. He can be noisy and brutal, silly and shamelessly melodic, but also strange, introverted and very, very beautiful.

redcrescent

martin said:
The following should definitely make it in

Ninjaman - Bunty Hunter
Beenieman / Bounty Killer - Guns Out
V/A - Ragga Ragga Ragga 2
Shabba Ranks - Just Reality
Jah Shaka - Dub Salute 3
...and Buju Banton's 'Til Shiloh

carlos said:
Merzbow [analog stuff 1990-98ish was his peak]
Death Metal [1990-95 was a "golden age" imho]
Total agreement in both cases.

Woebot

luka is almost certainly being wry innit. the whole idea of encoding one's 90s as MOJO fodder, its that "oh it was so much better in my day" crap adult thing. rotten to the core, one can almost feel the gangrene eating away at extremeties as death encoraches.

i suppose it largely depends on what happens to the legacy of dance music. recently i've been feeling like a real old codger in precisely this vein (linernotes for two big underground dance stars of early-mid nineties) i suppose assuming that dance music will be enshrined in much the same way that rock always has been.

HOWEVER, as the weeks go by i feel more and more like dance music (Hip-Hop excepted, not dance music i suppose) is like a mirage. i mean where is dance music? the whole thing about twelve inch singles is that they sort of destabilise this sort of thing anyway, its much easier to create a history out of the LP form. the lack of visual component may also be a huge problem:

photo of rave
photo of under-designed record
photo of artist in tracksuit
er, thats it.....

versus the HUGE image palatte of "historic rock"

i reckon Hip-Hop will get written alongside all the rubbish (Blur) you can just visualise the WuTang being admitted, in the same manner that MOJO deals quite "sympathetically" with Old Soul music.

Token "dance" entries:
Tricky: Maxinquaye
Goldie: Timeless elpee
(that wraps up "TripHop" and "Jungle")

R'n'B (excepting Neptunes first LP and Missy's 1st), Gabba, Dancehall, Two Step and Hardcore, not a hope in hell.

The Aphex Twin BOUND to get a big chapter though, which love some of his stuff as I do, I can't help but feeling ambivalent about.......