WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Swimming and biking, mostly, do enough lifting and stretching through chores

Walking got killed through lockdown repetition, even the chilled challenging ones, stomping through slush knowing what you had to return to. Kids fascination with seasonal species outwits real boredom but I can’t be alone looking back thinking those walks got fuckin tiresome. “Oh, Mapperley top, again”

Swimming is my favourite, for sleep mainly. Most thorough swimming days equals a better night’s kip. Early afternoon so no cunt’s there, tough fluoride dosing for eyes. British pools use fluoride like no-one else. Conversely, why ride in smog when you can swim in the least pissy waters in Britain

AandE nurses occasionally have cushioned shoes to get bit envious of if you’re on your feet a lot. Look terrible but feet treadmill all day rinses boots, gone the days of hobnailed tough gear, everything is designed to wear away and open footwear is a no-no for males most work sites. Everyone I’ve spoken to loves them, “my calves aren’t on fire cramping” “my step count was over 15 miles”, not bad when you cover acres of wards, stairs and corridors but I‘m too vain to wear a springboard blokaboot

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

One of the main points we want to establish in this article is that there are a lot of misconceptions out there about shoe cushioning. The prevailing idea behind shoe cushioning is that a greater amount of padding under the foot will help reduce the impact forces on the body’s joints and tissues during weight-bearing activity. Intuitively, this may seem like a reasonable claim, given that we’ve been told for years that we need cushioning to protect our joints and soft tissues from damage. Indeed, it’s an easy concept to wrap our minds around. What you may be surprised to learn, however, is that physics and research do not support this claim. In fact, the more cushioning a shoe possesses, the harder and more damaging on our joints it may be.

To understand why this is so, it’s important to understand the physics of collisions. To start with, the net force acting on an object is:

Force_Equation_1.jpg

With a body that has one foot in contact with the ground, there are two vertical forces acting on the body, which are the ground pushing up, traditionally referred to as the Normal Force, which I'll write as N (normal in this context meaning perpendicular to the surface) and the force of gravity pulling down, often expressed as mg, or mass times 9.8 meters per second squared. So we have:

Force_Equation_2.jpg

The acceleration is defined as change in velocity divided by time, so using vf as final velocity and vi as initial velocity, and doing some rearranging, we can write this equation as:

Force_Equation_3.jpg

So what changes when someone goes from a thickly cushioned shoe to a minimalist shoe or even to being completely barefoot? The real expert in this realm is Professor Daniel Lieberman at Harvard, who has done some really nice studies on impact forces using force plates so that the forces of running shod versus barefoot can actually be quantified. But here is the essence of the argument: With shoe cushioning, our sense of what is going on is dulled (see Cushioning Issue #1 below for additional thoughts on this topic), and we tend to run with a certain gait—a gait that involves more up and down bouncing as well as feet that reach out more and strike first with the heel during the landing phase of walking or running.

There may be small fluctuations in the time that the foot is in contact with the ground between shod heel strikers and barefoot or minimalist midfoot strikers, which would affect the Normal Force, but the real key here is that the shod, cushioned gait makes both the initial downward velocity and the final upward velocity larger (Note: The above equation is written using the convention that up is positive and down is negative, so the vf is a positive number and the vi is a negative one—meaning when both numbers get larger, the difference between them gets larger). This results in a larger Normal Force, or, in other words, more force that the foot and rest of the body has to deal with. However, when running barefoot or in minimalist footwear, we tend to change our gait. We bounce less, and we tend to make the foot strike happen more underneath our bodies instead of out front. So, instead of landing hard on the heel like we do in cushioned shoes, we control the impact better in minimalist shoes or with our bare feet and make the difference between vf and vi less, thereby reducing the overall force on our feet and bodies.

Below are a couple of examples using real numbers in the force equation to illustrate the above points. For our examples below involving runners, let’s set mass (m) equal to 50 kg. The acceleration of gravity (g) is a constant at 9.8 m/s2. Let’s set the change in vertical velocity (vf - vi) equal to 8 m/s for cushioned shoes and 6 m/s for minimalist shoes or bare feet. For the impact duration, let’s use a value of 0.3 seconds for both cushioned shoes and minimalist shoes.

Note: To better understand the rationale behind the selection of these numbers, please scroll to the very bottom of this article, to the “Appendix: Understanding the Numbers” section, for a more detailed explanation.

Example #1: Force experienced by a runner in cushioned shoes:

Example_1.jpg

Example #2: Force experienced by a runner in minimalist shoes (or with bare feet):

Example_2.jpg

jenks

thread death
Been training hard recently proper endurance stuff - started moving from short distance time trials - 10 miles to longer distances - 25 and 50 mile TTs. Did lots of strength and conditioning in the gym in the winter and started to enjoy lifting weights. Definitely feel the benefit.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
50 is going some. A mate got hit by a car like yourself but got a ropey recovery path with his back, slowly back on it. Cyclists rarely seem deterred

If you can pick a route you can see so much of your region’s hidden locales by bike, frequently better than train

It’s the idiot factor, volume of idiots behind wheels, supervising a brood on wheels - if there’s any personal time I’m as well off swimming lengths and extending the numbers weekly. Massive stress buster, guess a frontline for many, whatever way you approach a set of methodologies

version

It’s the idiot factor, volume of idiots behind wheels, supervising a brood on wheels -

My dad's been knocked off his motorbike twice and this rattled him. He wears a helmet, full leathers, back protector, gloves, everything, but there's only so much you can do when you're at the mercy of other people driving cars.

Leo

I'm a lazy fuck compared to you lot, aside from a day or two a week when I walk 5-6 miles. Early lockdown was the prompt to get back into using my rowing machine. Lasted over a year doing 40-60 minutes five days per week and felt great, then slacked off around the year-end holidays and haven't reengaged.

jenks

thread death
50 is going some. A mate got hit by a car like yourself but got a ropey recovery path with his back, slowly back on it. Cyclists rarely seem deterred

If you can pick a route you can see so much of your region’s hidden locales by bike, frequently better than train

It’s the idiot factor, volume of idiots behind wheels, supervising a brood on wheels - if there’s any personal time I’m as well off swimming lengths and extending the numbers weekly. Massive stress buster, guess a frontline for many, whatever way you approach a set of methodologies
Yep. No 1 son was racing in Belgium this weekend so I went over with him, took my bike and did two hours in the countryside outside Bruges - really got a proper feel for the place. I think I’ve said it on here before but cycling (and to a similar extent walking) gives you a real feel for the links between history and geography.

As for accidents…last year I got hit by a car, a month later by an electric bike and then two months later by an old bloke on a cycle path. I felt cursed - busted my collarbone, my elbow and some ribs in the space of six months!

version

Anyone heard of this Sam Sulek guy? 21 and looks like The Hulk. He's got a huge online following because he just seems like a regular bloke who's impossibly jacked. His videos are mostly him eating or in the gym, always wearing a baseball cap over his eyes. You've got to think it's going to wreck his health. Look at him...

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
grunting sounds warning for work

looks a *trt type, everyone else is a bit “but he’s using them and he’s talking to himself”

send in Frank Hassle!

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Anyone heard of this Sam Sulek guy?
I have, yeah. It's impossible to be around strength athletics and not have heard about him even if you're not on Tiktok which I think is his main platform.

Definitely juiced out of his mind on tren and whatever other compounds, as well as ofc test and hgh. I don't have a problem with it. Unlike many, many people I can think of he's not out here selling some "I'm natty" grift like the Liver King, or presenting unrealistic body images as an attainable goal for people not on gear (to my understanding he's pretty open about it, or at least doesn't make a bunch of nonsense natty claims). It's dumb and not really my thing, and yes will almost definitely have serious health consequences at some point but hey, his body, his choice.

I find stuff like Chris Hemsworth's fitness app or whatever much worse bc that's actively selling people a lie, as if you too can have the body of Thor by doing some kettlebell swings.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Bodybuilding is really its own strange cult even within strength athletics. Ofc there's overlap with powerlifting and strongman (weightlifting not as much) but the focus on aesthetics rather than performance takes it to really strange places. That's especially true of modern bodybuilding with its focus on extreme size. Sulek makes a lot more sense in that context. He's just yunno a Gen Z version.

This is a big generalization but I'll also say you can find more general weird/dumb takes, awful politics etc in bodybuilding than other strength sports. Powerlifting and weightlifting both require a level of technical precision and self-reflection whereas bodybuilding is more just like extremely rigorous discipline. Again yunno, to each their own but yeah for me, no thanks.