The Screwed & Chopped thread

stelfox

Beast of Burden
What are the real seminal mixes? What was Screw’s original series of mixes? Are people now making hip-hop that is already chopped and screwed or is it still a process done to other tunes? Are there any DJs who really really chop it up?!

It's not so much of a live genre and lots of regular-speed texan hip-hop has screwed influences in it - mike jones' screw dat and paul wall's break dem off being good examples - but it's really all a style of remixing, taking regular speed tracks and then screwing them. many albums and mixtapes from texas come in 2 CD versions. one normal speed and the other screwed. dj's don't do it live as a rule, because that's not really what it's all about. i know michael watts can and does, thanks to new technology that makes it possible, but it's more or less an interpretive genre for listening to in cars and on porches. that's certainly the way it started, with screw recording mixtapes at regular speed and then slowing the masters down and redubbing. i did a massive primer in the wire a while ago about the best (in my opinion only, because what you're gonna like is really up to you) texan rap albums, screwed mixes and original screw tapes. as far as screw's original series of mixes goes there are literally thousands of them, so there's no way you're going to get information on all of them. however, as far as i'm concerned, i'd start with june 27th, three in tha mornin', southside riders, n 2 deep, shinnin' like tha sun, codeine fien and as the world turns slow.

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
It's hot and humid here in Berlin, from what I hear it's similar in the UK right now. I also recently read this: http://governmentnames.blogspot.com/2005/06/ten-screw-tapes-every-south-rapper.html These two factors have resulted in me listening to a lot of DJ Screw, and I think you should consider doing the same. Then come back and talk about. This thread hasn't been touched in 2 years, is anyone remotely on this these days? I think Rosebeast is?
Recommendations / developments / the obligatory gossip, slander and lies please.

franz

i'm curious to see where music from the Alabama crew (Blockbeaterz, Jackie Chain, etc.) will take the music... i haven't heard any proper full on screwed and chopped tracks from them, but the way in which some of the techniques are being thrown into their productions is sounding quite fresh to me. i've kind of lost track of them for a second, i dunno if more has come out in the last 2 months or so?

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
have been listening to a lot of dj screw stuff, the two mixtapes i really recomend are "3 N' Da Morning" and "Only Rollin Red" (which has a 12 minute missy eliot jam on it, complete with completly fuckd beat clustery bits and scratch djing that sounds like retching). any chopped and screwed stuff ive heard hasnt really come close to dj screw, to be honest i thought of his stuff a lot when there were discussions of Hauntology and music, ariel pink/burial/caretaker etc, i think the fact that his mixes are all live and put onto tape before theyre heard is an important difference to modern chopped screwed versions of albums.

rosebeast

I still love this sound but it's progress has definitely slowed down (the irony) since people outside of the southern states started getting excited about it a few years ago. The four big stars of the scene, Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Cham, and Slim Thug, have either been missing in action or released relatively uninspiring stuff, and the production of official C&S versions that used to accompany almost every southern rap release has diminished quite a bit too.

I'll go through my files tonight and have a look for some new stuff though. One guy in particular, whose name is alluding me at the moment, has been making some very nice C&S versions of things like Promise by Ciara and various Dream tunes.

robin

dj screw documentary on youtube,haven't watched it yet though.

years ago i heard a screwed and chopped version of how can you mend a broken heart by al green,anyone know where it came from?

also rosebeast i'd be curious to hear who you're talking about doing the s and c versions of r'n'b tunes,was it ron c? (i think thats his name,the fuck action guy)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

dj screw documentary on youtube,haven't watched it yet though.

years ago i heard a screwed and chopped version of how can you mend a broken heart by al green,anyone know where it came from?

also rosebeast i'd be curious to hear who you're talking about doing the s and c versions of r'n'b tunes,was it ron c? (i think thats his name,the fuck action guy)

Wow, thanks so much for the heads up. Rocking 3 in the mornin right now.

As for the al green - there were quite a few of these around a while back...will see if i have any more

Edit - got one of Love & Happiness here

....I love the idea, but with al green not so sure it works...maybe that's cos i love al green so much at the right speed

robin

not sure if there was meant to be a link in that post?

anyway,i'm a huge al green fan alright,so i'm not sure how i'd feel about other stuff of his screwed and chopped,but there was something about the version i heard that really worked,although it was years ago so i cant remember much about it...

philblackpool

gamelanstep
What I could suffer of that documentary (terrible sound mix) was pretty entertaining - I love the stories about selling so many tapes to cars from 'the gate' that people thought they were selling dope!