corpse do u like this

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
One of the biggest traps is the amen fetishism.

There used to be a guy, tykal, amazing US based jungle digger, top geezer, and he had some ridiculous rule that he needed an amen every 5 minutes in the dj mixes he'd make. That's ok enough for old stuff but it's so easy to just default to the amen nowadays. And I sometimes feel that people outside of London (though not exclusively) hyperfixate on the amen.

other_life

bioconfused
yes. I do think the reaper stuff with its arpy pads is interesting, although obviously it could be developed more. Vapourwave was locking into that I guess, dealing with the after effects of the extinguished promises of internet 1.0. Something like picking up on where early Black Dog left off. I dunno, because I never really fully got vw.

for maybe about half of 'the heads' from 2008 to 2016 it was also a program of research for new ways to denature + juxtapose sample sources, but outside the idiom of 'sampledelic' popular music. lots of inspiration from the aesthetic of the cut in hardcore and footwork, ofc. tape music for waveform editors. a post-script to mille plateaux. a recrudescence of curd duca.

there's another facet of trying to carry over tropes from the new age-kosmische continuum while upsetting its functionality as meditative music.

but of course those same heads - making the most shocking sounding records (final tears & real ragga shit, to name two) were socially tight with/exchanging music with people very excited about french house and pop turntablism. or convinced that night slugs and pc music were an avant garde.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah my favourite night slugs record is Girl Unit - What, precisely because it's not experimental at all. just a melancholic melody and pitched vocal sample, kind of italo in its melancholia. But as an avant-garde label? no chance.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
all that stop start decon club just leaves me cold (and I love weird random stop start music.) It was the trap of worldbuilding right, trying to make music like a video game. It doesn't exactly involve the same skillsets. Then when people like Rabbit tried to sound like Coil it got even worse, somehow, and again, I really rate Coil.

dilbert1

Early DJ Nate and that adjacent myspace era stuff is pure not giving a fuck, and it is fun and funny. It's hilarious and balls out and suggests a genuine abandon, however more or less intentional, on the producer's part concerning what's appropriate and valid and taken seriously by the outside world. And then because it's actually done well, with its own rules for style and restraint and competency, hardly anything can touch it. A lot of great jungle gives me a good excited laugh, it's got punchlines.

other_life

bioconfused
i was just thinking about 'what makes oiseaux 96-98 not jungle' yesterday in spite of it having the most in common with what i like about jungle of any breakcore release i've really lived with

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i was just thinking about 'what makes oiseaux 96-98 not jungle' yesterday in spite of it having the most in common with what i like about jungle of any breakcore release i've really lived with

sometimes it's just as silly as social context/petty scene politicking and little else. which is sort of what I was saying to Dilbert the other day.

That DJ pooch one that Bukem played wasn't seen as jungle bitd, we just see it as such nowadays based on formal properties.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there's a few like that on Just Another Label. We call them happy jungle these days but bitd they were just seen as happy hardcore.

Not that I have an issue with the term happy jungle, I'm quite for it in some respects.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
formally absolutely indistinguishable from jungle

But happy hardcore, contextually.

Hence the following discogs review:

jam1 1 Jul 2020
Actions
Edited 3 years ago
referencing I'll Be There / Lonely (12", 33 ⅓ RPM) JAL 004
How come there is no comments on this!?!?! An amazing tune! Granted the A side is so so, but the B side is top tier! One of the last happy/jungle cross over tunes before hardcore went truly happy!

other_life

bioconfused
here, dissensus raw productions is a ghetto for actually getting feedback. attention economy and that. rebuilt two tracks i posted there earlier

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
here, dissensus raw productions is a ghetto for actually getting feedback. attention economy and that. rebuilt two tracks i posted there earlier

both pretty cool, imo. I like the falling on the edge of disintegration of the first one. where you cram it with incongruous samples and they have to talk to each other in an alien world. It's something missing in a lot of modern music. keep at it!