Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't care about how much knowledge people have or haven't got, and I don't mean that there's nobody INCAPABLE of writing stuff like this now.

But Barty is the only one who is (or was) excited about contemporary music afaia. (Outside of Autechre.)

He's the one I could imagine writing reports from the "frontline" of drill. But I don't think he'll bother. There's not the same blogspace there was, evidently. And I dunno if there's the same communal spaces either. The Rinse FMs, the eskidances.

luka

I'm sure some intrepid reporter or anthropologist will 'embed' themselves with a teenage stabbing gang sooner or later, if it hasn't already happened.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's a really different approach to what I see in woebot which is to take music on its own terms, albeit through his opinionated view of whats good and isn't. Whereas with the new ppl (and I don't mean this critically necessarily) it's more about recreating music in their own image.

luka

It's a really different approach to what I see in woebot which is to take music on its own terms, albeit through his opinionated view of whats good and isn't. Whereas with the new ppl (and I don't mean this critically necessarily) it's more about recreating music in their own image.

Id have to read it again to know what you mean. It's been a long time and I don't have a kindle.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess I mean that woebot doesn't really have "theories" as such. He doesn't (so far) view music in a radical way.

Perhaps the current crop (as you see it) are more the heirs of k punk, who seemed to take this approach of using music as a jumping off point for theorising.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Really would like to see

The Book of Heron
The Book of Bliss
The Book of Craner

And one day

The Book of Barty

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thirdform and Barty and mvuent are all in their twenties and are far more knowledgable about music than anyone of my generation, and are much, much smarter too.

I mean this is an interesting quote in of itself cos it suggests that being smart is of paramount importance.

It's very important ofc but it's hardly what makes a blog worth reading (i.e. FUN to read).

I think what I'm lamenting is

A) the death of blogs
B) the death of music (this one comes with a big question mark)

version

I like the personality that comes through with blogs. The colour schemes people use, the formatting, the images they choose to embed. It all adds to it. It feels a bit more like occupying someone's head, like going into your mate's bedroom as a teenager and it very clearly being theirs due to the stuff on the walls, the things lying around on the floor.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Grime in particular seems something to be mourned.

What an exciting time that must have been.

(albeit with the caveat that woe includes that most of the artists never saw much success)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I had my own experience of being a fan of course.

What I wrote then was gauche and embarrassing (full of pseudo street slang) - EVEN MORE SO THAN NOW - but probably more entertaining and passionate and engaging than what I wrote when I learnt to imitate a professional with objectivity.

luka

I had my own experience of being a fan of course.

What I wrote then was gauche and embarrassing (full of pseudo street slang) - EVEN MORE SO THAN NOW - but probably more entertaining and passionate and engaging than what I wrote when I learnt to imitate a professional with objectivity.

You gave Barty a massive crisis of confidence when you slagged off his blog. He can't work out what his 'writing voice' is now.