Skull and Bones, The Brotherhood of Death

sus

then it got discovered and was all over the news

I was worried they'd recognize my handwriting in some of the forms

I didn't support their cause I don't think they had a cause but it was all so hush hush I wanted to know yknow

sus

was there meetings? agendas? what did you see/do?
Well you were supposed to go to a vetting with another prospective member. They were very secretive had an encrypted messaging app and told you to go random places. They didn't want to disclose their own identities so it was peer review style you got sent a time and location and another interested prospie would show up and you two evaluated each other for "sincere intent."

Well I showed up and the other guy was an Indian student from the engineering school, he misread the bulletin ads and thought that it was a group interested in the encrypted messaging app we were using. He wanted to pow wow about web development and encryption technology and android vs iOS. That was my only contact with the group.

Leo

how about fraternities? are those still a thing in college? not quite a secret society, but a stupid one. we made fun of frat boys at my school, but that was back in the Dodgers, not a cultural mafia, played in Brooklyn.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well you were supposed to go to a vetting with another prospective member. They were very secretive had an encrypted messaging app and told you to go random places. They didn't want to disclose their own identities so it was peer review style you got sent a time and location and another interested prospie would show up and you two evaluated each other for "sincere intent."

Well I showed up and the other guy was an Indian student from the engineering school, he misread the bulletin ads and thought that it was a group interested in the encrypted messaging app we were using. He wanted to pow wow about web development and encryption technology and android vs iOS. That was my only contact with the group.
I'll do you a deal: I'll delete my board sig if you delete yours.

sus

Not to mention my sig serves a valuable practical function. I only wish more users would adopt it, so we would have "IUD-level protection" from the MSM

sus

i can't see your sig spen
Yes go to the browser settings (hamburger or elliptical drop-down near URL bar) and click View Desktop Site

This is important in case someone from the MSM is looking over your shoulder reading your phone screen

william_kent

no paywall version

skull & bones goes woke:

But there in the tomb, surrounded by oil portraits of former Bonesmen—all white, all chosen by the society’s alumni board—the current members felt overcome not by the achievements of those who had come before them, or by the possibilities that lay ahead, but instead by the organization’s long history of exclusion. So the students did what they felt had to be done: They pulled the portraits down, and replaced them with homemade signs criticizing the secret society’s record of keeping people of color out of its ranks. “Portraits is a relatively straightforward and easy ask,” one member who participated in the redecoration told me. “The way a space looks can have a large impact on a person’s psyche.”

the secret societies affirmatively select for students who are the first in their family to attend college, who come from a low-income background, or who are part of a minority group. This has created something of a diversity arms race. “People are, intentionally or not, thinking, ‘Does this cohort have too many white people?’”

version

The people who got in talking all radical then just settling into business as usual and the person who didn't get in writing an angry article about tearing the whole thing down then admitting they would have been fine if they'd gotten in too says it all really.

Today, Dunson is a member of one of the Ancient Eight societies. He knows how that looks. When I asked him about the apparent contradiction, he said he decided to join in order to make new friends and be part of a community, but acknowledged that he was attracted to the status that being in a society confers. “Once you get a tap for a society, it’s funny how quickly you get invested in the preservation of that society,” he told me. Ultimately, he said, given that his political views are at odds with attending Yale in the first place, “there’s already a bit of cognitive dissonance,” so joining a secret society wasn’t such a big leap.

The most full-throated critique of the societies tends to come from the people who didn’t get in. Isabella Zou, who graduated from Yale in 2023, felt confident in her odds to be tapped by St. Elmo’s, one of the Ancient Eight. But she spent tap day crying because she wasn’t chosen and comparing her qualifications against those of her friends who were. In a Yale Daily News op-ed, she argued that secret societies should be torn down rather than opened up. By including more students from marginalized backgrounds, she wrote, the society system merely “diversifies the ranks of the worthy without transforming the underlying structures that deem others unworthy.” And yet, she admitted, “I know in my bones that if I had gotten tapped by St. Elmo’s, I would have taken it and likely wouldn’t have developed a critical mode of participation.”

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"But she spent tap day crying because she wasn’t chosen and comparing her qualifications against those of her friends who were."

boo-hoo-cry.gif