sufi

lala
he hasn't even managed to start it yet. we could do the whole thing in an afternoon if he wasnt so bone idle.

The novel was first published as a serial in Dickens's weekly periodical All the Year Round, from 1 December 1860 to August 1861

its like box sets

maxi

I studied eirik the red and great expectations at leeds 🤣

I never read any other dickens though and since last year im trying to read them all in order. Recently finished nicholas nickleby.

Thats been a fun way to do it but a lot of people think his earliest are his worst. Pickwick Papers is the best so far though I loved it.

sufi

lala
No, I haven't. I find Dickens a slog.
me too,
but dya think reading an "episode" per week for 30 or 40 weeks might be a better experience?

and also help with the other dickens issues like rampant sentimentality, caricatured characters, rambling subplots etc

I think the wire/the bear etc also reveal weaknesses when you binge watch them compared to watching serially - the unimaginative character development may not be so blatant, the weak plot might be more suspenseful and so on

martin

----
I think 21stC readers find the passive heroines hard to bear
I've actually got more of a problem with their guardians. Lucie Manette's dad is particularly annoying: I wanted to reach through the pages and shake him out of his catatonic shoemaking stupor. Nell's youth is largely wasted thanks to her dickhead grandfather too.

jenks

thread death
I've actually got more of a problem with their guardians. Lucie Manette's dad is particularly annoying: I wanted to reach through the pages and shake him out of his catatonic shoemaking stupor. Nell's youth is largely wasted thanks to her dickhead grandfather too.
Yep. That grandad is wanker.

Benny Bunter

Thats been a fun way to do it but a lot of people think his earliest are his worst. Pickwick Papers is the best so far though I loved it.

I might have a go at Pickwick Papers next, it's supposed to be his funniest one, isn't it? And it was Harold Bloom's favourite Dickens fwiw. I don't really mind if a novel hasn't got much of a plot as long as the writing's good.

Benny Bunter

Jenks said he wants to reread it and I'm assuming shiels, Luka, corpsey, Martin, version, Sufi haven't read it yet - maybe we could do that one?

luka

nah ive not read it. not really in the mood for soemthing that fluffy tho tbh, i cant do that one right now

Benny Bunter

Pains me to say it, but we'll probably need Luka for this to work.

Fuck it, I'm just gonna carry on with the Faerie Queene, NONE of you have read that 🖕 🖕🖕