luka

this song means a lot to me. i first played it to craner by candlelight in his bedsit on roman road circa 2002.

woops

is not like other people
i'm just drinkin coffee cos im on the wagon. 2 minutes late too. must sync up

craner

Beast of Burden
Good kick off, Craner.

This came back into circulation in my brain thanks to Absolute 80s which was rinsing it circa 2014.

It’s one of those songs that has improved out of context. I remember it at the time, surrounded by other things that were similar, and it just seemed like a Nutrasweet serving of the same. Now it sounds singular - an unbearably exquisite confection, like a delicate, tiny tower of icing sugar.

It was written and produced by Peter Lord of The Family Stand, but Prince was also hovering around the margins of Paula’s career at this time, and there’s a delicacy and a poignancy and a clarity to this lush trinket that makes more sense when put alongside things like Parade and Lovesexy.

craner

Beast of Burden
Paula’s dad was a Jewish emigree family from Aleppo and her mother was a descendant of Ashkenazi Jews from Ukraine.

This song has a Latino twist on Rebel Without a Cause and has a hilarious cameo by Keanu at his Bill and Ted/Point Break peak, all lanky curtain fringe and thick hunk drawl.