Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
this sounds temptingly liek an invitation to do a 2 hour mix of tunes made by ME
but i don't want to be in the thread on my own...
I was just thinking, I'd like to do one of these but it would just be my own tunes...

woops

is not like other people
i will include my tunes but put them on the playlist as rare autechre releases under pseudonyms, unreleased dj flip instrumentals, mega rare 92 white labels bought for a quid etc and everyone will think their great

version

I can do a thread today if anyone's arsed. Someone else will have to stick everything in a playlist though as I don't have a YouTube or Spotify account.

Last edited:

luka

I can do a thread today if anyone's arsed. Someone else will have to stick everything in a playlist though as I don't have a YouTube or Spotify account.

The more the merrier. taking turns to host delightful dinner parties.

craner

Beast of Burden
Sunz. I made serious notes for this.

Dramaturgy! Holycore!

This kicks off with 60 Second Assassin who, as ever, sounds like a crippled, paranoid Flavor Flav, mumbling and ranting in the dark, damp corner of a municipal park, eyes bloodshot and weeping alcohol. The entrance of Killah Priest in full angel of the apocalypse mode kicks this track into another gear: the clouds darken, buildings crumble, the ground shakes (this performance is a good reminder of what a great actor Priest is). Hell Razah and Prodigal Sunn keep the pitch elevated to hysteria and ultraviolence, and it all ends with a sample of Reverend M G Gates: “I like being a soldier in the Army of the Lord...”

The first Sunz of Man album was a disappointment, there were multiple reasons for that: interference in their original conception and line-up; the ditching of the first prospective LP; the risible attempt to engineer a hit with Wyclef Jean; Priest redirecting his cosmic talents to his epochal debut. But the best stuff on the album is produced by True Master and 4th Disciple, who were both at the peak of their powers, and is as good as anything in the extended Wu Tang canon: ‘Illusions’, ‘Israeli News’, ‘The Plan’ (which includes the immortal KP line, “the black man and black woman can’t get along/because Ricki Lake is on with two horns…”), and this track.

‘Flaming Swords’ takes the cosmological tension of their rhetorical universe to its outer limit: the only other thing that goes as far towards self-parody as this is Gravediggaz’ 'Independence Day’ (on which KP also makes an unforgettable cameo). It’s ridiculous and funny and even a little bit camp, but it’s also the best example of what it is: that weird branch of apocalyptic rap that emerged from under shell of the Wu Tang Clan in the mid 90s, fattened with 5% and other weird theologies and ideologies, pregnant with coming cataclysm, unsure how seriously to take itself, or whether to be foreboding or gleeful about the doomed future. This schtick went very quiet for a few years after 9/11 and in light of some of the invective on the first and second Killarmy albums I still find it spooky that the release date of their third album was September 11 2001.

AS I SHAPE YOUR JAVELIN UP IN YOUR ABDOMEN

I love Priest.