Eurovision Song Contest

luka

didn't someone here say you can only really do,it,properly if you never had pop culture in your country, and Britain is the only country in Europe that did. I count Ireland as part of Britain in this sense.

muser

we're never going to win the eurovision song contest because everyone in the rest of Europe rightly hates us. Any UK contender is a lamb to the slaughter, no UK musician with self-respect is going to ever agree to do it.

boxedjoy

If I was a popstar I would love to do it. It gets like a billion viewers internationally. Credibility is credibility but if you're in the business of making pop why not go all out?

Sweden does really well every year because they take it so seriously. The way they pick their entry is a televised competition similar to X Factor where people vote for the song and star they enjoy most. We just get someone at the BBC to rifle through a filofax until they find someone free that weekend.

chava

One of the best in recent times. Politically explosive, almost Mike Ink style baseline and uber camp:

john eden

male pale and stale
It's one of those things, like the death of a royal, that reminds you how marginal you are - which is a useful lesson I think.

I do an annual very drunken watch with a load of mates. It is pretty weird - music nerds talk about cross-pollenation and odd hybrids of things leading to greatness. This is not that, but the sheer momentum is quite compelling.

The frivolity of it is quite sinister when matched up against the geopolitics. What is Europe, why is Israel in it, etc.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
If I was to stumble on it on the box, the thought/question of ‘where are fucking ISIS when you need them?’ wouldn’t be far from my mind.

IdleRich

IdleRich
didn't someone here say you can only really do,it,properly if you never had pop culture in your country, and Britain is the only country in Europe that did. I count Ireland as part of Britain in this sense.
But didn't Ireland keep winning it at one point? That was the inspiration for the Father Ted episode I think, the winner has to host it and it was bankrupting the country and so they picked Father Ted to represent them with My Lovely Horse and guarantee a defeat. Or something.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
aye that's what alerted me as well, though I'm not sure why parody is needed when the object itself exists
i saw it yesterday and thought it was quite good. i even liked some of the songs and i think some of them would score some points on the eurovision song contest.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
it's one of those bewilderingly continental European things that will remain forever beyond the grasp of true American understanding

see also: FIFA, the IOC, wars of religion, Dada and surrealism, ancient shrines, Nutella, Europass, and, let's be honest, continental philosophy

the inverse being the many aspects of America that elude European understanding, yr de Tocqueville-type insights notwithstanding

padraig (u.s.)

Britain having been more or less outside the continental cultural milieu since it was expelled from the continent at the end of the 100 Years War

and so more or less exempt

padraig (u.s.)

one thing I enjoy is how it seems to combine the pinnacle of acultural transnational pop with deeply atavistic nationalistic elements predating American pop culture hegemony. Europe Endless.

padraig (u.s.)

The frivolity of it is quite sinister when matched up against the geopolitics.
see, there it is - in America the sinister is frequently, usually garish, but it's never frivolous. we're too earnest for that.

it's the same reason American politicians are usually laughably cheap to buy compared to your typical FIFA delegate

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well there are many examples of course but the France Gall seemed a very unpleasant trick to play on an 18 year old girl.

padraig (u.s.)

Well there are many examples of course but the France Gall seemed a very unpleasant trick to play on an 18 year old girl.
tbh even in a different time I find it pretty hard to believe she didn't have some inkling, especially as he was famous for double and triple-entendre

nothing against France Gall, this is one of my favorite pop songs ever. there's an excellent Folamour edit as well.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, who knows, this is what it says on wikipedia but possibly she's exaggerating.
Gall, aged 18, did not understand the double meaning of the song when she recorded it.[2] By Gall's account she did not realize until later why the filming of the clip attracted so many visitors to the set.[1]
She was extremely upset upon finally learning the truth about the song's double meaning — "mortified, hiding herself away for weeks, refusing to face anyone".[3] Gall said that she had sung Gainsbourg's songs "with an innocence of which I'm proud. I was pained to then learn that he had turned the situation to his advantage, mocking me."[4] In a 2001 television interview, Gall said that she felt "betrayed by the adults around me."

Zoi Zoi is maybe my favourite of hers

Leo

it's one of those bewilderingly continental European things that will remain forever beyond the grasp of true American understanding

see also: FIFA, the IOC, wars of religion, Dada and surrealism, ancient shrines, Nutella, Europass, and, let's be honest, continental philosophy

perhaps small gains, but Nutella's been making a move in the last decade. love of hazelnut-chocolate is universal. yes, Americans still consider it to be exotic and wouldn't put it on par with a combo like Reese's, but still. baby steps.