william_kent

so... went to see Dune 2 tonight with a good friend who is a hardcore Dune fan - she reads the novel at least two times a year and can quote swathes of it on command ( if I use "the voice" ) and she was mystified, she was asking me "who is that guy with the sword" and all I could reply was "some random Sardaukar" and although we had the intention of talking all the way through because that's "how we roll" it was difficult because since when did a worm sound like a jet engine? yeah, internal combustion ( that's a spoiler I think ) but really? terrible soundtrack. Awful sound design. She spoiled it for the other members of our party when she said that the ferret faced star ( as if I would follow him across the universe in "holy war", it's fucking JIHAD! why so shy? ) announced his lines like "Nicholas Cage" and now they can't undo... I never realised the 'water of life" was like cocaine until I witnessed this film and saw the "I AM THE WAY I AM THE LIGHT!" egotism

so we hated it and loved hating it

when is part 3 ( "dune messiah" ) slated to come out?

edit: worst trip sequence ever, the scene where the dog ate the magic mushrooms in an episode of Neighbours was far superior to the 'water of life" sequences, you can tell Villeneuve has never done psychedelics

william_kent

oh yeah, when we were chatting outside the cinema post dune 2 , my friend mentioned the worms' mouths and I was like "GOATSE" and she looked horrified but she was the one who first mentioned "bum holes" and I only said that because it's a 'pop' reference and what it really reminded me of was the sphincter control demonstrated in the original uncut version of "Pink Flamingoes" but not everyone would get that

william_kent

that guy who plays "Paul" - before the film started there was a discussion about how he looks like the kind of guy who would piss into a shampoo bottle and how that is not a prank, it's just nasty and damn psychotic

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
that guy who plays "Paul" - before the film started there was a discussion about how he looks like the kind of guy who would piss into a shampoo bottle and how that is not a prank, it's just nasty and damn psychotic
That's because he's called Timotei, innit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
oh yeah, when we were chatting outside the cinema post dune 2 , my friend mentioned the worms' mouths and I was like "GOATSE" and she looked horrified but she was the one who first mentioned "bum holes" and I only said that because it's a 'pop' reference and what it really reminded me of was the sphincter control demonstrated in the original uncut version of "Pink Flamingoes" but not everyone would get that
Someone needs to get a picture of a worm's gaping maw and photoshop in the hands, complete with wedding ring.

Ian Scuffling

Nice to see other lovers of the novel disappointed by Part 2. Not that I was expecting some psychedelic Enter the Void tour-de-force nonsense but I definitely think Villeneuve is missing something his idols had in spades. "Personality" may be too simplistic a term but so many of the design choices felt committee-made and I agree the sound design was unremarkable at best. No jaggedness, no intrigue, no observation (of the Fremen especially), so little time spent on the political machinations that really water the garden of the novel's political and religious thinking. The most striking images to me were the small details in costumes - even the ostensible boldest choice, Giedi Prime, looked to me like J.J. Abrams' interpretation of Death Stranding. Should have been a miniseries.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nice to see other lovers of the novel disappointed by Part 2. Not that I was expecting some psychedelic Enter the Void tour-de-force nonsense but I definitely think Villeneuve is missing something his idols had in spades. "Personality" may be too simplistic a term but so many of the design choices felt committee-made and I agree the sound design was unremarkable at best. No jaggedness, no intrigue, no observation (of the Fremen especially), so little time spent on the political machinations that really water the garden of the novel's political and religious thinking. The most striking images to me were the small details in costumes - even the ostensible boldest choice, Giedi Prime, looked to me like J.J. Abrams' interpretation of Death Stranding. Should have been a miniseries.
Hi Ian. Nice first post, and welcome!

Out of interest, what's your opinion of a) the Lynch adaptation from 1984 (I'm a big fan for its weirdness and campness, although I appreciate the common criticism that anyone who doesn't know the book well is unlikely to have a clue what's going on), and b) the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries from ca. 2000 (which I've not seen, although I think it was fairly well received)?

Ian Scuffling

Hello, thank you! I've not seen either actually, as I was so satisfied with the first novel and Messiah as novels that I was frankly uninterested in adaptations, and based on hearing nothing particularly good about the Lynch film, especially his own denunciation, and little about the miniseries, I never bothered with them. Watched the new ones just to keep up with the discourse among friends and for the cast, who I should say were satisfying except for Zendaya. I really can't think of an actor other than Timothee Chalamet I can see in the role and I think it was worthwhile for seeing what is going to be a major touchstone in his career. Loved Rebecca Ferguson and can't wait to see more of her as well.

kid charlemagne

i agree with the criticisms on the visual emptyness of dune. so desolate and brutalist, no different than other sci fi shit like star wars. though i enjoyed part 2 a lot more than part 1. felt like paul had a much more complete arc and the film as a whole was much more meaningful and conclusive.

Ian Scuffling

i agree with the criticisms on the visual emptyness of dune. so desolate and brutalist, no different than other sci fi shit like star wars. though i enjoyed part 2 a lot more than part 1. felt like paul had a much more complete arc and the film as a whole was much more meaningful and conclusive.
I think Villeneuve is the worst culprit of that brutalism. Same reason I disliked Blade Runner 2049. Feels downright lazy sometimes