Wiley's eski-œuvre

CrowleyHead

Weak question, might've been asked before...

Is there anybody else who did "Eski" other than Wiley?

I mean, in the Zomby mix showcase, Blackdown mentioned... Danny Weed & Target, "Master"?, Jammer, himself, Untold and obviously Zomby.

Can anybody point me in the right directions?

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
if you mean devil mixes, the unreleased versions of "poltergeist" (target) and "creeper" (danny weed) spring to mind

Simon78

Weak question, might've been asked before...

Is there anybody else who did "Eski" other than Wiley?

I mean, in the Zomby mix showcase, Blackdown mentioned... Danny Weed & Target, "Master"?, Jammer, himself, Untold and obviously Zomby.

Can anybody point me in the right directions?

Jammer did loads of tunes that fit in with the early Wiley beats. It usually gets called Sino Grime and it has got a bit of a different feel to it compared to the Wiley stuff.

The Jammer mix for Duece magazine is quality and should be easy to find as a download. Its got Weedman, Pick & Mix, Thug, Why and my favourite Mystic on it. He also did a quality tune with Mr Wong called Chinkrasta.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-NASTY-Mix/release/573683

Lewi White's early beats also fit in nicely. He used to engineer for Jammer and help on his productions as well. He wrote a few bits with Bigga Man, check the Chiney Chin riddim on the Neckle EP and the Jammer Vs Bigga From The Ends remix.

The old Danny Weed stuff is very similar, Roll Deep all used the Plug Sounds plug ins for a lot of their sounds including the 'Wiley snare'. Check out Creeper, Salt Beef, Rat Race, Thai Weed etc. I'm sure a load of his and Targets tunes are on Creeper Vol.1 & 2 which are about as free downloads. They should be on Grime Forum somewhere.

Target has got a different sound, not as bleak as the Sino stuff. I don't think a lot of his tunes got released but there are a fair few bits for sale on Discogs.

Dizzee wrote loads of really good instrumentals Chinky Ting, Street Fighter, String Hoe, Go and all of the different Hoe refix's.

Musical Mob - Iceberg is complete Wiley rip off and I think it was a response to Pulse Eskimo?

There are loads of one off white labels which are similar to the stuff Wiley was doing and a shed load of refix's as well. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't have a look to see what they are all called or who they are by.

I can't remember the name of the synth the Eskimo bass is off but its on one of the DVD's, probably a Korg Triton?

It is all just Grime from around 2003 really, they all sound slightly different from each other. This is a good interview from around that time http://www.xlrecordings.com/features/wiley-interview.html

Simon78

Did Thug come out on anything? It's such a brilliant beat

Yeah its on the Mystic EP. One of my favourite records:
http://www.discogs.com/Jammer-Mystic-EP/release/919277

That Jammer/Wong 12" with Weedman and Chinkrasta on it is really good as well. Its not on Discogs though for some reason?

I was chatting to him at Uptown after an instore once and I was trying to persuade him to write some Sino Funky. He was very funny to talk to.

I got him to sign my CD "SHATAP SIMON, Murkleman" :D

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah its on the Mystic EP. One of my favourite records:
http://www.discogs.com/Jammer-Mystic-EP/release/919277

That Jammer/Wong 12" with Weedman and Chinkrasta on it is really good as well. Its not on Discogs though for some reason?

I was chatting to him at Uptown after an instore once and I was trying to persuade him to write some Sino Funky. He was very funny to talk to.

I got him to sign my CD "SHATAP SIMON, Murkleman" :D

That's brilliant Simon thanks, you mentioning that mix I dug it out and was just oh god, thug is just so great, all of that mix is in fact, but especially Jammer's stuff. I think he should be the new Parkinson myself, sooner that man gets on prime time TV the better.

Simon78

That's brilliant Simon thanks, you mentioning that mix I dug it out and was just oh god, thug is just so great, all of that mix is in fact, but especially Jammer's stuff. I think he should be the new Parkinson myself, sooner that man gets on prime time TV the better.

Yeah, its quality isn't it. I have been listening to it a lot recently.

I always rate the Are You Dumb CD's. Hopefully his album is quality as well.

I got Boyz In Da Hood + Nxus - Brinin Da Mayhem today for the Jammer instrumental. Sick tune.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
What is this Wiley track called?
Loads of places identify it as Shanghai, so that's what I always thought it was, but I have the Shanghai twelve and it isn't the same. Anyone know?

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Thanks nomos.

I think the recommendations bit has been around for awhile, but I've only ever seen it on a few entries. Is it something that has to be manually entered, or does it work in a similar way to something like last.fm where it works it out based on people's collections?

Ory

warp drive
it's based on collections, so naturally, you'll mostly just see the biggest anthems of a given genre in the recommendations.

gumdrops

there needs to be a greatest grime refixes album. would include things like that ice rink remix, i luv pulse x, etc etc.

benjybars

village elder.
been thinking alot about eski/early grime recently..

obviously Eskimo, Igloo, & Ice Rink are undisputed classics. groundbreaking stuff.
apart from that tho... i find most of wiley's releases from that period to be very samey and generally pretty average. i used to be bang on collecting all wiley's stuff but then realised i hardly ever play most of it.

he also made some classics beats in his post-eski life... Avenger, Taplin, Nightbus Riddim.

still the most important british musician ever tho. ;)