How comfortable would you be throwing away a book you didn't pay for?

nilprenia

There is a free book depository in my city that has now closed that I picked up a book about suicide from. I keep looking at this in my room now and it's made me uncomfortable. If I gave it to someone I'd have to offer an explanation for why I have it, which is no reason in particular, I got it for free.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
And if libraries don't formally take them, maybe just drop them off somewhere else where somebody else, perhaps with other options, can decide.

john eden

male pale and stale
There is a free book depository in my city that has now closed that I picked up a book about suicide from. I keep looking at this in my room now and it's made me uncomfortable. If I gave it to someone I'd have to offer an explanation for why I have it, which is no reason in particular, I got it for free.

Mail it anonymously to an enemy.

sus

I'd feel bad, like crap really. No chastisement from the inner voices—not creative enough to figure out a good reason why I ought to feel guilty—but it feels crummy regardless.

sus

I always wonder how much material waste like that feels gross for inherent reasons, or cuz of (relatively recent) environmental reasons/guilt.

sus

I feel like if I were a Sumerian peasant I'd feel crappy about just tossing a way a perfectly good brand new ceramic bowl, but it'd probably feel more like "fuck, I'm too poor not to figure out a good use for this" than it would guilt.

There must be a little narrow window in the midcentury where commoners were affluent enough to toss out goods willy-nilly but lacked environmental consciousness. We should ask them, really get to the bottom of this neurosis once and for all.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Write a new book over the pages or draw some pictures on them. Make it a project
Nah, just carefully open it somewhere in the middle, do a really detailed biro drawing of a big spunking cock across two pages, then innocently hand it in to a charity shop. Are they going to check every page for obscene vandalism before reselling it to some hapless chump? Are they fuck!

catalog

you could cut a hole in the central pages, a little space big enough to hide a little box which could be used to keep valuables in. it' hard, you have to cut a few pages at a time, but it's cool. the shawshank redemption flex.

Woebot

i don't throw away anything very much. at all. but certainly i have had big purges once or twice.

given that 95% of the things i own are secondhand i think it makes good ethical sense to: give to someone who might appreciate the item, sell secondhand or donate to a charity shop. ironically i've recycled stuff like this in the past - probably foolishly - that i suddenly have a maddening urge to reacquire.

never forgetting, as the saying goes, "saints and birds don't collect" (although corvids appear to it seems...)

catalog

i love that bit of jesus' sermon on the mount where he talks about the birds and how they don't need anything. there's a great chester brown comic of it all.

martin

----
I've chucked books. Maybe I have no soul. I very happily threw "The Corrections" in a bin. I also left an Arthur Machen book in the little mesh sickbag holder on a plane because it was so corny. I chucked a book on the National Front but, to be fair, the cover was hanging off and it had water damage. I used to have nearly every back issue of 2000AD from 1984-1989 but they were going for 1p each on eBay, so they all got binned. One copy of Bidisha's "Seahorses" is now vegan yoghurt packaging. Actually, I've just remembered one I chucked that I'm a bit ashamed about.

I usually drop them off at All Aboard or Marie Curie.

john eden

male pale and stale
I've binned some awful fash stuff also and a couple of things that were just shite.

Took a box of fairly decent books down to Housmans recently for them to sell 2nd hand in their basement. That was cool. Mainly its charity shops though.

Most of the charity shops round here aren;t taking donations rn because everyone had a clearout under lockdown and nobody was buying.

john eden

male pale and stale

This is how you take a book with a retail price of £7.99 (less than fifteen US bucks or 10 Euros) and transform it into something with a value of £1000. And the increase in value doesn't stop there - as this work becomes an art world legend the monetary value will just keep increasing! Personally authenticated by the 'artist', the shredded edition of Stewart Home's novel Down & Out In Shoreditch & Hoxton is strictly limited to an edition of 10! Each copy sells for a grand! Forget those liberal hacks who believe that destroying books is a crime against either good taste or the so-called 'soul' (and probably both), this type of transformation is indeed high art! And now I've destroyed one of my own books, I'll move onto shredding some by various idiots with less writing talent than me. John Latham never had days like these! Art is post-modern alchemy; it allows me to increase the value of an object by more than 100 times the original price simply by destroying it....