Room 237

sus

fcca388e49939c58ecde72487600486b20-15-the-shinning-5.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Documentary about various fan theories regarding Kubrick's The Shining. Anyone seen it?

I thought it was very fun, got turned onto it by a wonderful Sarah Perry essay called "Puzzle Theory"

One has the sensation of creeping into a labyrinth of enormous size and complexity. The movie is pleasantly chilling, but also profoundly satisfying, hinting at promised gifts, unexplored creation, a frontier.

I actually was thinking about this essay quite a bit reading the Grapejuice book. It has that same paranoid, apophenic style—over-pattern-matching; mistakenly perceiving meaningful signals in noise. Schizo, basically. Numerology is a big trope in all of these.

Transformed into binary, the first number before the question mark, 1101, is a number 13. This may indicate that the binary number that follows it should be converted carefully into base 13. The number (treating qualified affirmative answers as “yes” or 1, and “no” as 0) is 1100101001110110111101, or 1222029 in decimal notation, which is 339415 in base 13. Perhaps it’s not a very interesting number, but it does have a surprising property in light of the information previously brought to light: it corresponds to the file name of a very particular html file: a news story about a habitable planet in Tau Ceti.

sus

Consider Oedipa Maas, the heroine of Pynchon’s The Crying of Lot 49. Faced with a pile of suspicious coincidences, haunted by confirmers, she is never able to settle on one theory that resolves all the ambiguity. She sees hints and suggestions of a secret conspiracy; she sees its apparent work in the world. The conspiracy explanation is appealing; it posits order, and, perhaps, belonging. Here is a portrait of her situation, reflecting the epistemic situations all of us find ourselves in at some point:
image6.jpg

Converge on 49, 42 – something that we only really know from whispered hints – incipient, tentative enlightenment – coincidence. Beyond lies agony. Certain kinds of knowledge are necessary for our comfort and flourishing; each epistemic emotion (surprise, mirth, wonder, insight) reflects an epistemic need. And underneath all the needs, belonging, and perhaps the outline of a mysterious purpose, just barely suggested by strange coincidences.

The Shining, yes, interesting I suppose. But I'm more fascinated by the attack dogs that are materialised at the end of The Hunger Games. Are they real or virtual hellhounds? Is any of it real?

luka

I see what you mean. I was going to say on the Wuhan thread the hunger games are about to start in earnest actually, weird.

I had a dream of the sort I've not had since the Sunday before 9/11. Blood, fire, blistering, WW2 bombers, body bits. All happening in some kind of stadium built out of grey masonry. Antennae are twitching.

luka

Suspended Reason is one of those sympathetic robots that earnestly try and understand what it means to be human, drawing up all these graphs and diagrams, but what is the computational value of love? Smoke coming out of his circuit boards.

luka

we need to impress him with a sense of the fierce pleasures and intoxications the thrilling vertiginous fears the foreboding cloud and sunburst epiphanies of a life lived in the Great Outdoors. Shake him out of his Ben Shapiro logic.

woops

is not like other people
Suspended Reason is one of those sympathetic robots that earnestly try and understand what it means to be human, drawing up all these graphs and diagrams, but what is the computational value of love? Smoke coming out of his circuit boards.
these humans have in irrational interest in other humans in pinafores... this must be what they call "love"