Black Albums

Woebot

got to thinking about this after charles manson's conjecture that the beatles white album was a crypto-racist statement. i think it was in many senses.

the idea was really in the air at the time of the height of the counterculture that, in a reaction to decades of fetishising black music (right up to the beatnik era) that finally here was a scene which was white. so for instance i don't think it was coincidence that meredith hunter was a black man.

the electric kool aid acid test was full of this sort of thing. how "the spades" were suddenly not hip any more.

luka

got to thinking about this after charles manson's conjecture that the beatles white album was a crypto-racist statement. i think it was in many senses.

the idea was really in the air at the time of the height of the counterculture that, in a reaction to decades of fetishising black music (right up to the beatnik era) that finally here was a scene which was white. so for instance i don't think it was coincidence that meredith hunter was a black man.

the electric kool aid acid test was full of this sort of thing. how "the spades" were suddenly not hip any more.

The rise of the hipster seemed to be predicated on a similar move to some degree, a way to wrest back cultural capital for the white middle classes

luka

Dissensus as a whole has fallen into line with that revaluation. What little enthusiasm for music there has been here over the last few years has been for the likes of autechre.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Never thought about this weirdly but I bet that dominance by rappers of popular music drives trumpians absolutely mad.

luka

Never thought about this weirdly but I bet that dominance by rappers of popular music drives trumpians absolutely mad.

I'm not so sure about that. it's always been possible to be racist and appreciate and even idolise black entertainers at the same time