sufi

lala
Cartandhorses.jpg

stratford style

Leo

was there ever a point where you liked rock music, luka? teen rebellion years listening to the clash or something?

Reactions: sus

luka

No, not really. But when I grew up Leo, you'll be able to relate to this, computers hadn't been invented and if you wanted to hear a piece of music you had to buy it. So I went through a phase of buying a few canonical boomer albums to see if they lived up to their Mojo magazine billing. That's why I like The Doors still. And Joni Mitchell.

My parents didn't listen to rock music and I didn't know anyone else who did. It was completely invisible in that era. It just didn't exist. It came back to life with Oasis, who I like. Then it disappeared again.

luka

When I was a small child hip hop culture was establishing itself in London for the first time. That was what your eye and ear was drawn to through most of the 80s. Then everyone starting screaming aceeeeeeid at one another.

Leo

ah right, the rise of hiphop, makes sense. it would be rare here to not know anyone growing up who listened to rock music.

it is weird to think of the pre-YouTUbe/internet days when you couldn't spend all day exploring any type of music by clicking free links.

Leo

you were lucky to have John peel. we had some college stations but they had weak signals, almost like pirates.

DannyL

Wild Horses
When I was a small child hip hop culture was establishing itself in London for the first time. That was what your eye and ear was drawn to through most of the 80s. Then everyone starting screaming aceeeeeeid at one another.
This was what it was like if you lived in London or the surrounds (in earshot of pirates). Born free, free of ever having to think about shitty rock music. I didn't start listening to anything with guitars in until I started buying NME, which I first bought 'cos Def Jam was on the cover.

DannyL

Wild Horses
One of the many benefits immigrants have brought to British shores is the fact that you could grow in London, in a suburb, and fill your brain with rap, reggae and soul and never have to engage with twats with guitars playing a fundamentally racist music.

luka

First time I met a British person who liked rock was the Glaswegian manager of the pie shop I worked in in Sydney him and his moron Aussie mate doing air guitar to that terrible song