linebaugh

the podcast sphere is strange because it caters to the most dull facets of existence. There are some devout and enthusiastic listeners but with most of my social sphere its a begrudging exercise. Why as other people have already mentioned the current iteration of the borooklyn culture mafia seems shittier than the past- basquiat may have been wanking around with insufferable rich dicks aswell but he was also creating experiences youre willing to go out of your way to have.

sus

the podcast sphere is strange because it caters to the most dull facets of existence. There are some devout and enthusiastic listeners but with most of my social sphere its a begrudging exercise. Why as other people have already mentioned the current iteration of the borooklyn culture mafia seems shittier than the past- basquiat may have been wanking around with insufferable rich dicks aswell but he was also creating experiences youre willing to go out of your way to have.

Basquiat's not that good.

linebaugh

mix the first two and you get the third, (though I dont think Twombly really translates online)
Luis-Felipe-Noe.jpg

W1siZiIsIjE1MTQxMSJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcXVhbGl0eSA5MCAtcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MjAwMFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

basquiatxerox5_1000x.jpg

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I really like basquiat. Its like if cy twombly was hanging around the south american abstract painters scene
where can i find more about the south american abstract painters scene? can you recommend me some artists to check out?

luka

Ben Watson decided to spend most of a recent JH Prynne review being grumpy about Basquiat, presumably cos he had no idea of what Prynne was banging on about and it seemed sensible to create a distraction

"The recent Basquiat exhibition at the Barbican this year is surely the End of the Fucking Road for this particular ideology: a so-called incursion of “hip hop” into fine art which – in the flesh – saw a queue of the ignorant and craven dumbstruck by news of the prices being paid for every canvas. The shuffling reverence of the punters was indicative: the stink was religious– oppression mystified as profundity. When, after viewing the bulk of the canvases, Iris (12) shot out “But they’re all the same, they’re boring!” … horrified glances from everyone in the room, like someone had said something racist. Seen in sequence, Basquiat was exposed as a graphic designer with a limited set of motifs (graffiti, Leonardo’s notebooks, Haitian shrine stylings), a Neville Brady-level talent making canvases for the collectors. Hailing Basquiat as a victory for race relations is like conceiving Theresa May as a victory for women’s rights: astoundingly stupid." https://psychedelicbolshevik.wordpress.com/tag/ben-watson/

linebaugh

where can i find more about the south american abstract painters scene? can you recommend me some artists to check out?
Ive just picked up a general sense from odd exhibitions Ive seen, coming from the south we have a lot, wish I could be of more help. also I think its evident that a big name like picasso shows up in Basquiats work. But the first image I linked was painted by Luis Felipe Noe. the MFA in Houston has a good collection that you can click around in https://emuseum.mfah.org/advancedsearch/Objects/department:Latin American Art

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The recent Basquiat exhibition at the Barbican this year is surely the End of the Fucking Road for this particular ideology: a so-called incursion of “hip hop” into fine art which – in the flesh – saw a queue of the ignorant and craven dumbstruck by news of the prices being paid for every canvas. The shuffling reverence of the punters was indicative: the stink was religious– oppression mystified as profundity. When, after viewing the bulk of the canvases, Iris (12) shot out “But they’re all the same, they’re boring!” … horrified glances from everyone in the room, like someone had said something racist. Seen in sequence, Basquiat was exposed as a graphic designer with a limited set of motifs (graffiti, Leonardo’s notebooks, Haitian shrine stylings), a Neville Brady-level talent making canvases for the collectors. Hailing Basquiat as a victory for race relations is like conceiving Theresa May as a victory for women’s rights: astoundingly stupid.
he sounds like a grumpy, hostile version of the patronizing asshole interviewing Basquiat here

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
like, you can or not like anyone's work on aesthetic grounds

but I can reduce anyone to a "graphic designer with a limited set of motifs"

Rothko, a graphic designer with rectangles

such a fucking stupid critique

not a new one tho, he was loudly derided by plenty of ppl as a (racial) hype job at the time as well

the worst part isn't the opinion on his art, it's the erasure of his agency in his work

like, the motifs mean something beyond themselves. you'd think a fancy critic with a theory background could do better.

luka

Make sure you don't start spluttering. Not spending too much time hungover becomes increasingly important.

luka

Feeling yourself about to inveigh against political correctness like Strangloves arm twitching into a nazi salute