dilbert1

Alright, I’m gonna wait for you to wade in a bit. But eventually I must show you, there’s an interesting scandal that was perpetrated against one of the members of BC by the guy who put on that situationist event in Ridgewood recently and some of his friends ten years ago. And a theoretical component attacking the specific way they wield cultural capital in the art world by cashing in on radical chic associations.

version

The 90s crop were already posturing hipsters, but the deterioration of these types into the people in that Spike article's staggering. There's just nothing there.

dilbert1

But take your time to dig in for sure. The film’s worth checking out now that you’ve read Tiqqun. Much of the same footage and narration was put out in a very truncated form by former members or associates of Tiqqun (who split as a group in response to 9/11, hence the Invisible Committee) as “And the war has only just begun…” as the members of BC were presumably living and collaborating with them. They were sort of the art darlings of semiotext(e), Chris Kraus raved about them (her piece on BC in Where Art Belongs is a good place to hear their appeal condensed), and a very goofy but fun enough exhibition of theirs I saw in 2017 featured a lot of Sylvère Lotringer speaking on a screen.

https://contemporaryartreview.la/bernadette-corporation-at-gaga-reena/#:~:text=Bernadette%20Corporation's%20The%20Gay%20Signs,hold%20trash%20and%20scribbled%20puns.

Reactions: sus

version

Semiotext(e) published that group novel of theirs too, supposedly had 100 writers. There's also that 'Claire Fontaine' project that's somewhere in the mix, read a pretty dull and pompous interview with them.

dilbert1

That’s Fulvia Carnivale’s project, she was listed on the editorial board of Tiqqun #1. Terrible art, much worse than BC

version

It's jarring how credulous some people are of these things. They're being paid and engaged with and taken seriously and it's utterly perplexing.

version

Some of the recent shit I've seen cited as important work's basically been the equivalent of me exhibiting a bunch of the stupid Craner and Showgirls Gus memes to a rapt audience sagely nodding at what it says about communication in the 21st century.

Anyone can grab a jumble of incongruous images from across social media and plaster them with vague provocations. It's absolute bottom of the barrel stuff.

dilbert1

A critic I read put things similarly actually, while also paying BC a pretty funny compliment

IMG_6801.jpeg
IMG_6800.jpeg

Funny that he gives the “role models” a lower score

version

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 05-56-49 A Brooklyn Culture Mafia.png

You can say that again. There's a vast space between embarrassing, affected nonchalance and cloying earnestness and activism, but a lot of artists seem to occupy one extreme or the other.

dilbert1

There's a vast space between embarrassing, affected nonchalance and horrible, earnest activism, but a lot of artists seem to occupy one extreme or the other.

They do try to get at that formally in GRoY, in a pretentious way surely, but the tension between high art disinterestedness and ‘the street’ is partially the material they want to play with. Ambiguity is sexy. Another critical charge I’ve read billed their shtick as “irony without sarcasm.”

dilbert1

This really hasn’t been posted? The ‘retard list’ aka the naughty and nice list of the BCM’s angelic vanguard circa ‘21-22

Don’t let this slip by, guys. The first two names at the top of the naughty list are 1) k-punk and 2) Sleepy Joe, I shit you not

craner

Beast of Burden
Is she the VOG? Probably not. I liked her story "Pillow Talk" years ago. I think she'll probably nudge literary prose toward internetspeak which I think is good, it's quickly becoming the richest pool of cosmopolitan slang the world has seen, I don't see why it isn't or can't be a part of a poetic language.

Interesting. So are you saying her main claim to literary immortality is as a stylistic or even technical innovator? Is she really the first person to put "internetspeak" into fiction?

sus

This really hasn’t been posted? The ‘retard list’ aka the naughty and nice list of the BCM’s angelic vanguard circa ‘21-22

Since Craner has called this "the jewel in the crown of Late Period Dissensus" I encourage everyone to provide Archive.org links, upload PDFs, embed images, copy-paste text, and other archival maneuvers that will ensure future readers have access to fine contents

I will lead by example here is "The Retard List pt 1"

Retards

Angelus Silesius
Woah Vicky
bod [包家巷]
Tsering Woeser
Ciara Horan aka Eliza is Dead
Juliette Labin
Faith Icecold
Black Kray
Howey Ou
Wangdor Rinpoche