Decline

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually there are people who haul old chunks of commercial airliners or military aircraft, out of their industrial graveyard somewhere around Las Vegas, and use them to built homes.
Maybe I've seen pictures of that... sounds cool I gotta admit.
Is it mentioned in Underworld perhaps or am I misremembering?

catalog

And by the sound of it, easily buildable. I'd also imagine you can construct the shed, in the manner of a traditional outhouse, in such a way that you can disconnect it from the compost below and move it on top of a fresh hole.
Yeah exactly. He got it off Facebook local, old knackered shed that someone was chucking away. The only tricky bit was laying down some slabs and getting them straight so it's fairly sturdy. And then yeah, you sink a hole in the floor of it and when the pit gets full, you deconstruct and reconstruct in a new bit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
If its at any point considered a cult, I read that as a symptom of failure. Negative feedback.

@IdleRich not sure, whats Underworld?
It'a really long masterpiece/pretentious-borathon by Don Delillo which I guess is his stab at The Great American Novel. I have to admit it that I don't remember it that well and to me it seemed like a huge splurge of loads of ideas (some interesting, some less interesting, some not interesting at all) just randomly stuck together in the vague hope that if there were enough of them they would somehow fall into place and create a fascinating cubist collage representing a combination of multiple different viewpoints overseeing the US and thus, in total, describing it as it is now and how it would be, perhaps better than had ever happened before.
Anyway, I seem to remember something about a plane graveyard in Nevada and people stealing from it to get stuff for their homes and me thinking that that was one of the more interesting bits of the book. I could be wrong though - it might be in another of his books, or a book by someone else, or even in no book at all.... although the good thing with making such a claim about this book is that I find it hard to believe that anyone is gonna be invested enough in it, or care about it enough to know it sufficiently well to be able to say definitively that there was no such bit. So even if I'm wrong I'll probably get away with it.

version

Is it mentioned in Underworld perhaps or am I misremembering?
Klara Sax. She's an artist who paints abandoned military planes or something. There's an Iranian artist who does something similar irl.

VmEZVGX.jpeg

IdleRich

IdleRich
But does it get mentioned in Underworld... the concept? Maybe I'm getting mixed up, I think perhaps it might just be about the planes' graveyard thing which is kinda fascinating in itself, I always love looking at, say a yard with loads of trains parked up for the night, and I think that would take on an extra dimension if they were all abandoned and spookily overgrown and so on. And then if they were planes instead of trains I think that would be something even more special.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A lot of these things tend to have at least a spoilsport fence. I suppose in fairness they are potentially dangerous... but i do like it when they have a bit of a fence which you can get through if you really want. I read that to say "Obviously you're not supposed to be here and if you're kind of person who is going to give up easily then get lost, but if you are a bit persistent and you will climb over a wall or crawl through a hole and ignore a sign telling you not to... well, you can get stuck in and have a lot of fun, but remember, if you do fall off something and break your cock or die then it's really not our fault cos we told you not to come in".

catalog

spoilsport fence, that's a good one. i did a bit of accidental urban exploring a while ago whilst out on a walk with friends. it was an old mill building, in a huge flattened out site, they hd a fence but the gaps were very easy and in fact we wandered into the grounds simply cos it was a straightforward route, then we just got sidetracked cos the mill building was very interesting, had a sort of inner courtyard with an old water wheel. so we went to look at that and before we knew it, we'd gone through the doors and up onto the floors. what was cool was all the stuff that had been left, like in the toilets, they had the little soap dispensers on the sides, but spider colonies in all the sinks. and some good graf from people who had been before. probably wouldn't have gone if i was alone though, loads of pigeons around so walking about the place made noises go off in other bits.

i did this talk a few years ago at a psychogeography festival, about a graffiti writer in manchester called 'Whale' and this couple who came knew a lot of the tags i was showing on screen, so we got chatting after and they said they were now big into doing writing in these derelict places, but they were going in tunnels and all sorts. i followed them on instagram for a while before i deleted my account, they were quite serious about it, ropes and safety gear, all that.