Annie Baker

luka

Body Awareness tracks a lesbian couple, Phyllis and Jannis, and their Aspie son Jared, during a "Body Awareness Week" at the Vermont liberal arts college where Phyllis works as a feminist psych professor. The Aliens is set in a coffeeshop backyard, stoners Jasper & KJ hanging out, befriending a shop employee, talking about music, about their dreams. John, a young couple visit a Gettysburg bed'n'breakfast for the weekend, end up awkwardly alone with the elderly woman who runs it.

You know this sounds as appealing as cold sick. Why are you pretending not to know this?

luka

Top of my list of things I don't care about are Vermont, lesbians and liberal arts colleges.

sus

All I've tried to do on this board is take seriously the things other users care about/are interested in, and to honestly present what I am. It's hard for me to believe you'd prefer a forum of bland assimilation instead of genuine cross-cultural dialogue, Luka.

luka

Im not talking about Baker! I'm talking about myself as a member of that cultural gestalt with the natural repulsion to this stuff. Im talking about that feeling that hits before the facts.
That's why I don't understand why he's being disingenuous. We all know the words Vermont lesbians liberal arts college are going to cause massive disgust and anger

linebaugh

This is what Gus likes and you cant blame him for defending it though. And its not entirely fruitless, Gus is the reason I watched Days of Heaven. Ill have all sorts of clever things to say next time he wants to talk Mallick

• Love
Reactions: sus

sus

You're either interested or not, I'm not spamming the board. My last thread, the Annie Dillard one, was never replied to, just sunk off the front page. Oh well! Brooklyn Cultural Mafia somehow became 55+ pages and counting. I never imagined or predicted either of those outcomes. Maybe you've been on this board for 15 years and have a good model of every active user; I don't, and I'm putting worms on hooks, trying to see who bites. Your vitriol in response is bizarre. Both Annies' lack of readership on this board genuinely surprised me, given these authors' influence and respect in other, nearby subcultures. Dillard is a theologically trained nature writer, for chrissake.

luka

I've successfully browbeaten loads of people out of liking what they like and they're very grateful

luka

This board of littered with people who no longer like what they liked cos of me. Taste is not fixed. The will to conform is much stronger.

sus

Ah, gotcha, now it makes sense: this isn't about any abstract principles, of the type you've been trotting out all day. It's about power.

sus

If you think the community's stronger and more together without me I'll leave, but I will not renounce the culture I love and care about because it doesn't fit your own vision.

luka

Just don't be alt right and don't pretend to care about those disgusting spoiled brats in Brooklyn. Just do clever stuff to make everyone go wow, that's cool

• Angry
Reactions: sus