Roll Deep- In At The Screwed End

juliand

Logan Sama said:
That article seemed pretty fair given what I imagine the author has been exposed to.

Grime isn't even a nationwide phenomenon in the UK yet, so it getting pushed in the States amuses me. Glad some people are feeling it though. Even if it is perhaps somewhat influenced by trying to look current :)

I've no idea, though, why any writer would go to press saying a genre's a fad if he's not sure he's actually heard it.
We read about grime here and there in the Bay, but it's certainly not part of our day to day; and no one plays it out, save ex-jungle kids throwing down I Luv U occasionally

I'll just submit that Radioclit's screw is not exemplary of the genre as I understand it. It is, as you say, just slowed and doubled; it's not as not funny, maudlin, chopped apart, or bent as Houston's finest. Like any DJ-based genre, selecting is a huge part of the game with screw. The wrong song won't hold water.

OG Ron C's a master of selection--something like Fuck Action 37.5 is screw at its best.

In any case, there's no reason everyone has to have the same taste; if your head's wound up tight with grime, it's totally understandable that this molasses-rap doesn't make no sense. All best.

Tha Megatron

I heard this mix a while ago on another forum. I wasnt feeling the Roll Deep album chopped and screwed and thought that it probably sounds better the way it is. What i did think about the other day though after hearding this mix was like what if someone chopped and screwed grime beats (ie. playing them at 33rpm) and either having the accapellas of some of the original tunes or like accapellas of mid tempo hip hop tunes and blending them together so that the beats have a slizzurp bassline while the pitch of the mcs are still in tacted.
I dunno i jus thought bout it while listening to the ipod while washing dishes at work...oh my dreaded job that i o so hate!

anyways...i like screwed mixes but im not sure if it works with the Roll Deep album.

mega

gumdrops

this isnt the best example of chopped and screwed really - its almost painfully literally little more than the roll deep slowed down with little else done to it.