Benny Bunter

EDM is shit. Post dubstep is shit. Trance is shit. Liquid dnb is shit and Tony Colman is probably shit too, what do I know?

shakahislop

What I don't get is those festivals all have like twenty million people at them... but I've never been to one, I've never met anyone who has been to one, I've never met anyone who has met anyone who has been to one... I've never even heard of anyone being able to name a single person who has been to one of these festivals. Do they really exist or are they just made up?
i think it's an american thing isn't it. there's a venue in the east village here, webster hall, which has a load of this kind of thing on, seems to have some EDM late at night on most fridays, i end up clicking on it because it says 'dubstep' sometimes. the geography of that is kind of interesting because it's in manhattan, and basically the tried and tested rule for clubs here is that if it's in Manhattan then it's going to be annoying and shit, whereas if it's in Brooklyn its going to be laid back and the music is going to be better. brooklyn = PLUR to use the terminology that the kids seem to be using here for some reason.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't even know what "liquid dnb" is tbh

Thanks for proving my point. You never followed Annie Mac or annoying poshboy Pete Tong, so you were only warring with the post-dubsteppers. I don't blame you, they both play some of the worst music to have ever existed. But I know how to demolish all of Muggsy's arguments in that thread.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
EDM is shit. Post dubstep is shit. Trance is shit. Liquid dnb is shit and Tony Colman is probably shit too, what do I know?

ok but according to that logic UK funky was shit too. (I don't believe this btw...)

You see? the problem is you and Muggs shared the same false binary. he didn't rail against false binaries, he reified them.

Benny Bunter

It's true, I never followed Annie Mac or Pete tong. I haven't read this thread either so apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick, just got no idea why I'm relevant here, I know know nothing about any of the stuff you're on about

Benny Bunter

ok but according to that logic UK funky was shit too. (I don't believe this btw...)

You see? the problem is you and Muggs shared the same false binary. he didn't rail against false binaries, he reified them.
He was such a dick. UK funky was great

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's true, I never followed Annie Mac or Pete tong. I haven't read this thread either so apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick, just got no idea why I'm relevant here, I know know nothing about any of the stuff you're on about

It's ok. I don't like any of the records in this thread at all. I just know how to make a case for poptimism, which is by nature non-cultural and non-positional. This is why Finney could never beat Muggs either, even though he is a far better writer. Too #spursy only real Arsenal boys can.

Someone who reads music journalism of the rockist type and engages with it can never be a true poptimist, only cosplay at such.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i think it's an american thing isn't it. there's a venue in the east village here, webster hall, which has a load of this kind of thing on, seems to have some EDM late at night on most fridays,

Sure yeah it is an American thing, but even so it doesn't make sense. In some of those pictures of Tomorrow Land festival there are more than a billion people and yet noone knows anyone who has ever been. Noone has an uncle in the US whose friend went... there is nothing like that going on.

There is only one possible conclusion. This conclusion is obvious but at the same time counter-intuitive, it will seem hard to swallow and on first hearing it I expect people to push back, but after a moment's thought they will agree that EDM doesn't exist. The parties are all CGId, that's why no-one has ever met or even heard of an attendee. That was part of what raised my suspicions, but, I mean look at this, it's obviously not real

best-electronic-music-festivals-tomorrowland.jpeg

There are 100,000 people that really like David Guetta... yeah right, as if. Like they say though, if you gonna tell a lie make it a fucking huge one. So, why not say that there are loads of people who love David Guetta, and they all meet up in a humongous day-glo purple fairytale castle twice the size of Belgium that noone has ever actually seen to have cake thrown in their faces and dance to a giant mouse - it's completely ludicrous.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Sure yeah it is an American thing, but even so it doesn't make sense. In some of those pictures of Tomorrow Land festival there are more than a billion people and yet noone knows anyone who has ever been. Noone has an uncle in the US whose friend went... there is nothing like that going on.

There is only one possible conclusion. This conclusion is obvious but at the same time counter-intuitive, it will seem hard to swallow and on first hearing it I expect people to push back, but after a moment's thought they will agree that EDM doesn't exist. The parties are all CGId, that's why no-one has ever met or even heard of an attendee. That was part of what raised my suspicions, but, I mean look at this, it's obviously not real

View attachment 14347

There are 100,000 people that really like David Guetta... yeah right, as if. Like they say though, if you gonna tell a lie make it a fucking huge one. So, why not say that there are loads of people who love David Guetta, and they all meet up in a humongous day-glo purple fairytale castle twice the size of Belgium that noone has ever actually seen to have cake thrown in their faces and dance to a giant mouse - it's completely ludicrous.

bollocks. all the ilx honk honk honkies go to EDC.

DLaurent

I've seen some videos of festivals in Belgium that look like the above photo but Paul Kalkbrenner is DJing. Be good if it was Autechre!