The Kano LP -vs- The Roll Deep LP

DJL

i'm joking
Pearsall said:
I just wonder why a lot of these artists don't seem to believe in the music they are doing.

I think they are just trying different avenues and experimenting.

gumdrops

they either dont consider themselves purely grime artists or simply dont think grime will sell very much for them.

Badmarsh

Face it - they're trying to break the US market...by trying hiphop/rnb beats. I know that you know that in America, if your urban, its only hiphop.

gumdrops

yeah, its just bizarre logic though - since when has america ever given two shits about foreign rappers? in fact, when have british rappers ever had much widescale success in THIS country? the most successful british rappers ever might actually be so solid (forgetting big brovaz)! so the idea of grime MCs doing hip hop or pop-rap trying to penetrate the mainstream and pop charts is baffling. the success rate just isnt proven.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
It's worth remembering that the same rules of major labels apply to the grime artists they sign, so the same things can go wrong. A&R people, managers and label execs have more to do with these albums getting watered down than the artists do.

gumdrops

you'd think (or perhaps *like* to think) that wouldnt happen on 679 though. to be honest, the kano album is like a better version of the shystie debut.

Lee Trundle

Alone, Jealous and Stoned
MATT MAson said:
It's worth remembering that the same rules of major labels apply to the grime artists they sign, so the same things can go wrong. A&R people, managers and label execs have more to do with these albums getting watered down than the artists do.

Mase - did you get fired from RWD?

Fiddy

gumdrops said:
you'd think (or perhaps *like* to think) that wouldnt happen on 679 though. to be honest, the kano album is like a better version of the shystie debut.

You're taking the piss now. If I was Kano I'd be wounded by that comment, seriously.

As for Matt's comment - Roll Deep's album was done before it got near a label. Yes, the final version is more polished but it's near enough the same product. As for watering down... people have been quick in this instance to accuse Kano of not coming with a grime album, but allow the short sightedness. The boundaries of grime have moved on considerably, we all know that. Kano is quite capable of making choices as to what he wants in the studio and is it too hard to comprehend that given he'd only put out one tune at the age of 16, he might have more in his musical vocabulary than club bangers?

gumdrops

i was being kinda facetious with the shystie comment. i think the kano album is a very good album, and hes still one of the best MCs in this country, dont get me wrong. i suppose i was just hoping for something a bit more challenging that would blow my head off.

gumdrops

he's amusing, hes got personality, i prefer the mitchell brothers (who he did that harvey nicks track with) though.

gumdrops

the mitchells were good live when i saw them on channel 4. im sort of the opposite to you, im not totally convinced about sway. im obviously in the minority though, everyone from beyonce to usher seems to love him! will be interesting to see how he fares on an album...

Fiddy

gumdrops said:
the mitchells were good live when i saw them on channel 4. im sort of the opposite to you, im not totally convinced about sway. im obviously in the minority though, everyone from beyonce to usher seems to love him! will be interesting to see how he fares on an album...

Don't get me wrong. I'm still not completely convinced, I like some and not so keen on other bits. Interesting character and do like the humour just not so keen on all the beats but Up Your Speed is big. Where the Mitchells are concerned have seen them live a few times and lacked something. Like the idea of them more than the music I think.