Most true to the spirit of Reggae/Dub Reggae and NOT from Jamaica

william_kent

Upstarts taking their Clash clonery / Ruts wannab-ery bit too far - prod. D. Bovell

My brother had some Angelic Upstarts but they all went "Oi!" Never heard their sensitive side before - not sure I ever want to again. He also had a Stiff Little Fingers LP which contained this track which stood out by a mile because everything else on it was unlistenable...

Stiff Little Fingers - Bloody Dub

william_kent

The German Connection

Mœbius & Plank ‎– Rastakraut Pasta ( 1980) ( Conny Plank at the controls! )

Dunkelziffer - Q (1984 ) ( Damo Suzuki on vocals )

william_kent

Another from Dunkelziffer because it features harps and the Damo Suzuki vocal could be off a Can song - the reggae influence becomes more pronounced towards the end

Dunkelziffer - Sunday Morning

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I suppose one has to ask what is meant by spirit here. If it's dub as flava then a lot of music in this thread would certainly fit that bill. If it's dub as process though I tend to think the best jungle and techno accomplished it better.

Absolutely love this, takes the momentum of dub and runs it through an accelerator. Too often there's a mistaken idea that dub is indolent stoner music.

william_kent

Too often there's a mistaken idea that dub is indolent stoner music.

Agreed - King Tubby was a non-smoker yet some of the "best dub" has him at the controls. He was really into jazz, and his deconstruction and rebuilding of a song and rhythm owes a lot to the jazz idea of taking a standard and reinterpreting it. A lot of the early dub albums ( Aquarius Dub, Dub Store Special, Java Java Java Java ) have little to nothing in the way of stoner effects, instead concentrating on stripping a song to its drum and bass foundation and then teasing instruments in and out of the mix just like a jazz musician would take a little solo spot for a few bars. There was also an economic element with original dub as it would allow a producer to pay the musicians just one time and then use the dub or version as the b-side of a single, essentially getting double their money's worth.

I'll stand by my posting Imagination upthread as in my opinion the Night Dubbing LP is true to the "spirit of dub". Big chart hits by a pop band taken apart and rebuilt into dub versions that could then be played at The Paradise Garage, rather than the school discos and Saturday night meat markets that were their former home. Here's the dub of Flashback, a massive hit, containing just enough of its original vocal hook and melody to provide familiarity but bringing the drum and bass elements to the fore. The album was also true to the original spirit of dub as an entire album of recycled material could be sold to the public making money for the producers without having to pay any musicians..

sufi

lala
Agreed - King Tubby was a non-smoker yet some of the "best dub" has him at the controls. He was really into jazz, and his deconstruction and rebuilding of a song and rhythm owes a lot to the jazz idea of taking a standard and reinterpreting it. A lot of the early dub albums ( Aquarius Dub, Dub Store Special, Java Java Java Java ) have little to nothing in the way of stoner effects, instead concentrating on stripping a song to its drum and bass foundation and then teasing instruments in and out of the mix just like a jazz musician would take a little solo spot for a few bars. There was also an economic element with original dub as it would allow a producer to pay the musicians just one time and then use the dub or version as the b-side of a single, essentially getting double their money's worth.

I'll stand by my posting Imagination upthread as in my opinion the Night Dubbing LP is true to the "spirit of dub". Big chart hits by a pop band taken apart and rebuilt into dub versions that could then be played at The Paradise Garage, rather than the school discos and Saturday night meat markets that were their former home. Here's the dub of Flashback, a massive hit, containing just enough of its original vocal hook and melody to provide familiarity but bringing the drum and bass elements to the fore. The album was also true to the original spirit of dub as an entire album of recycled material could be sold to the public making money for the producers without having to pay any musicians..

wow never heard of this before, my mum had in the heat of the night on cassette in the car, looking forward to revisiting old faves in dub