Moritz von Oswald - an appreciation - 'It's in the hiss'.

3underscore

Buick6 said:
I know Monolake, but I'm neither here nor there with them - not rockist enough.

Re: Ableton - Innaresting...please xplain...is this music software? Is it designed to make fractally aware body-without-organ music too? (sorta funny since the latest R&S uses a Wurlitzer on it!!)

Wuz gonna say, I'm curious to know the studio methods MvO uses. Is he a Laptop Nerd or goes for a proper studio envoronment. Me thinks MvO is the most important sonic architect since, ummm... Brian Eno!

Don't really understand your rockist comment. Ableton is a sequencing software, great for looping and improvising with, or even producing full tracks.

As for the Basic Channel studio - a little research will show you how secretive they are about this. they guard it like Kraftwerk do Kling Klang. I would expect it to be hands on and with serious analogue kit. Their whole love of the rawness of reggae sound and their significant bass work (surely supported by the knowledge gained from D&M) would hint that they won't be digitally focussed. But, all this is absent speculation.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
re rockist: Follows a simple, chugga chugga trajectory sonically funkally

Massive on the ableton, been checking the website...looks velly velly sexcy.

blunt

shot by both sides
Also worth checking from the same milieu: Porter Ricks.

They were originally on Chain Reaction, before moving to Mille Plateaux following, if memory serves, a dispute with Chain Reaction about their CD packaging (it was when they were using the metal cases that actively destroyed the disc inside).

"Port Gentil" (track 1 on their first album) is one of my all time favourite tunes of all time (every bit as seminal as M7, IMHO); and their second album on Mille Plateaux was the first time I remember hearing guitars being used in the context of electronica (tho doubtless someone here can point me to other, earlier examples) - check "Spoil" and/or "Spoiled" for more of this.

They're not together anymore, but there's a full downlow at:

http://www.koener.de/porter-ricks.html

/B.

turtles

in the sea
blunt said:
"Port Gentil" (track 1 on their first album) is one of my all time favourite tunes of all time (every bit as seminal as M7, IMHO)
yeah i love that track! I used to have a 30 min walk to and from work (best part of that shitty job!) and i determined that was the best possible track to listen to as i started off my walk first thing in the morning. The way the beat slowly comes in (at an excellent walking pace) along with that beautiful fuzzy melody--it's totally sun-rising, dew-on-the-grass, gently-but-inevitably-get-you-going kinda music. In a different direction, i also always really loved "biokinetics II" by them. So unbelievable dark and foreboding. Always makes me think of being trapped in a sub at the bottom of the ocean or something like that.

also should point out that this site has a pretty thorough discography of all basic channel and related releases.

also also, didn't moritz do the mastering/engineering on luomo's "the present lover"? that release always sounded super lush and big to me.

nonseq

AshRa said:
Didn't they do that Sonic Sunset LP together too? Sure sounds like it! My favourite though is the Starlight 12" on Metroplex - ahhhhhh!

Yeah I think so, or at least one of those tracks, 'I Wanna Be There', which is also on Deep Space, but in a shorter version. 'Starlight' is magnificent indeed! I know it from Deep Space but I saw that the twelve also has a Maurizio remix. Must investigate! ;)

btw The new Monolake album is just out - samples sounded very promising.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
For those who like the instrumental R&S stuff, I discovered this Danish net label called Kyoto, which seems to be churning out a lot of material in that vein. Slow and not 4-to-the-floor.

On one hand I think most of the tunes there are straight biting, but on the other it's a whole lot of music that sounds like Rhythm & Sound for free. :D

michael

Bring out the vacuum
OK, having downloaded everything there's plenty of 4-to-the-loofah stuff in there. It's as if different releases bite different distinct periods from the evolution of the duo!

The releases by Hieronymus are the most submerged sounding.

Some of them are hilarious (to a producer) cos it's so clear the producer has just let some white noise go pssssssshhh on top of the track and then done a few little things to try and make it sound a bit more integrated with the rest of the music.

Man, I'm sounding real harsh on these bods. . . obviously I'm enjoying it, else I wouldn't be recommending people check it out.

mms

sometimes
michael said:
OK, having downloaded everything there's plenty of 4-to-the-loofah stuff in there. It's as if different releases bite different distinct periods from the evolution of the duo!

The releases by Hieronymus are the most submerged sounding.

Some of them are hilarious (to a producer) cos it's so clear the producer has just let some white noise go pssssssshhh on top of the track and then done a few little things to try and make it sound a bit more integrated with the rest of the music.

Man, I'm sounding real harsh on these bods. . . obviously I'm enjoying it, else I wouldn't be recommending people check it out.

nah i think you're wrong about that. it doesn't sound like that to me at all. i think some of this stuff is finished in the mastering process.

AshRa

nonseq said:
Yeah I think so, or at least one of those tracks, 'I Wanna Be There', which is also on Deep Space, but in a shorter version. 'Starlight' is magnificent indeed! I know it from Deep Space but I saw that the twelve also has a Maurizio remix. Must investigate! ;)

btw The new Monolake album is just out - samples sounded very promising.

A few years ago the New York record shop Dance Tracks did a compilation of their shop favourites and Starlight was on that - apparently it's one of their best selling 12s of all time - amazing!

My favourite Chain Reaction is Monolake - Cyan (CR04), when the hi-hat comes in after about 10 minutes - :eek: !!!!

I don't know what happened about the follow-up though?!!

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Way to give it away Martin.

Can't believe I just found this thread. Cyan/Magenta is the best Monolake, really hypnotic and submerged. The new stuff is too digital and clicky. I really like "Credit" off the last album though. That one just makes time stop for me.

Obviously love all the R&S stuff except their version of "Climax". What's up with that? Nothing of the original.

Re: Luomo. I thought it was Vocalcity that got Moritz's production help.

There's a whole huge genre of this dub-techno stuff now. It does all sound a bit sterile. ON the discogs forum there's a rolling thread there devoted just to that genre. It must have over a 1000 posts easily now (it's split into parts).

michael

Bring out the vacuum
(white noise added to tracks on kyoto-sound.com)

mms said:
nah i think you're wrong about that. it doesn't sound like that to me at all. i think some of this stuff is finished in the mastering process.

Well I was only writing about some of the tracks, but I do reckon eg. the first track on release number 9 (errant signal 26) sounds like they've just generated white noise and then built up the track around it. It's the kind of sound that makes me think of space rock or Jean Michel Jarre or the intro to 'Fly Like An Eagle'... not the grubbiness of layers of amplified sound.

None of the Maurizio related tracks ever have that perfect uniform noise to them.