Whitehouse

viktorvaughn

They are playing in London soon at Electrowerkz. 5 April. I am a bit too scared to go I think.

Should I go? Will it be horrible screaming and fascist chanting etc? I know little about them but am somewhat curious I must admit.

Last edited:

martin

----
They are playing in London soon at Electrowerkz. 5 April. I am a bit too scared to go I think.

Should I go? Will it be horrible screaming and fascist chanting etc? I know little about them but am somewhat curious I must admit.

Be really careful. Someone might throw a can at them and they'll scarper.

Phil Best leaving used to be a monthly event back around '99-2002

mms

sometimes

no the worst that might happen is someone might stand on your shoe and not apologize.
They're weirdly more spectator sport than activity nowdays.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone heard (of) this band? Can this really be true?

Blackhouse are an oddity in the Industrial scene, because their music features Christian themes and lyrics! The duo of Ivo Cutler & Sterling Cross come from the heart of Mormon country, Salt Lake City, and have baffled the scene since they began opposing the libertine power electronics of Whitehouse with their Bible-obsessed messages. Unlike bland Xtian pop, Blackhouse preach the good word over the wicked sounds of raw beats and harsh electronix. They see no contradiction in their art, because as they say: "There is no war more holy than the fight for peace."

http://www.popsike.com/BLACKHOUSE-Hope-LP-1985-RRRecords-rare-XIAN-INDUSTRIAL/200036780217.html

john eden

male pale and stale
blackhouse certainly exist, but I always assumed they were a spoof. Can't remember hearing any of their stuff.

martin

----
Blackhouse are crap, completely pointless. The best Whitehouse pastiche was The Gerogerigegege's "William Bennett Is My Dick" 7", which only makes a sliver of sense if you've ever been exposed to Whitehouse, and does make me laugh when he bursts into giggles. So yeah, it's pointless too, but better than Blackhouse.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I LOVE that Gerogeri 7" (although I THINK I heard it wasn't them?! Its on Stomach Ache, the legendary spoof label). Theres tons of Whitehouse pastiches & lame wannabes. Dominator are kinda risible, but then they also employ some of those outrageously tough-going high-end whistly sounds that make me freak like out a cat in a microwave, so I guess they're not all that lightweight!

A friend played me half of the new Consumer Electronics (Best) LP last week - pretty damn good....

thenationalacrobat

eat white death...
a close friend of mine has one of the most complete gero collections around and i have been lucky to hear some of the gems (and to see the artwork / packaging) from his haul... the octopus tentacle glued to the inside of an empty cassette being a particular favourite!

yeah gero and hanatarash, he's a fiend for those fellas.

i love whitehouse for a bunch of reasons but more so nowadays its a timbral thing, total sex, erector and dedicated to peter kurten have just got that gorgeous thin where it should be fat total no-payoff feel to the synths. as with most music i listen to i find the vocals hard to decipher so that content has always kinda passed me by and now its just another layer, but a spiky one admittedly. but yeah... cunts and john leslie and that...

first heard whitehouse on a terrorizer magazine CD. :cool:

i saw them in newcastle a few years back as well and well... it wasn't the morden tower gig. proper lager-top feel to the night. crushing sounds at points but i preferred the consumer electronics set. would love to see them again sometime but not gonna happen anytime soon i don't think.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Blackhouse certainly exist, but I always assumed they were a spoof. Can't remember hearing any of their stuff."
So, are they really christians using the power of noise to fight Whitehouse? Seems weird.

martin

----
I LOVE that Gerogeri 7" (although I THINK I heard it wasn't them?! Its on Stomach Ache, the legendary spoof label).

Really? Sounds like when Smell & Quim did that Whitehouse 7" and tried to pretend Merzbow was behind it. Simon Reynolds should concentrate his next book on exploring the secret underground of power electronics jokers creating Whitehouse spoofs and blaming them on the Japs.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
My friend Simon is involved in Smell & Quim and did this literary pastiche of the power electronics scene a few years back: http://bangoutoforder.blogspot.com/2005/06/one.html ...start on this one & then go back to the root to find the other episodes... Quite funny, I thought at the time. The last post on here is his potted history of the genre. I think he ought to do the book, but I'm sure theres someone more earnest who is more likely to at some point...

john eden

male pale and stale
My friend Simon is involved in Smell & Quim and did this literary pastiche of the power electronics scene a few years back: http://bangoutoforder.blogspot.com/2005/06/one.html ...start on this one & then go back to the root to find the other episodes... Quite funny, I thought at the time. The last post on here is his potted history of the genre. I think he ought to do the book, but I'm sure theres someone more earnest who is more likely to at some point...

simon's take on it all is great I think. top bloke, should write more about this for definite.

david keenan said he was working on a book on ramleh, skullflower etc when I met him.

martin

----
I'm not sure if this should go in the 'Nature' folder, but here's my personal favourite Gerogeri 7" release. All 100+ tracks of it.

Suffice to say, in 2025, there'll be a global media blitz when the GGG's stuff gets reissued in highest quality digital format, and 'Gander Fuck' and 'Glans' make it onto the latest PS version of 'Rock Band'

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master

That's very funny, reminds me of the noise guy that knocks all his gear off the table as he gives it the large one :)