THE RAUL RUIZ THREAD

other_life

bioconfused
i've made a shortlist of 54 films of his i'm curious about and an (incomplete) youtube playlist, as well. i was also given access to an (incomplete) google drive collection but will only give this out in dm's. i also found an (incomplete) 'annotated filmography', the reviews i've read there so far were insightful.
-

-
i've also taken a number of screenshots of the films i've seen but uploading them is a pain, i'll put it off

other_life

bioconfused

a short film from 1977 on the make of chris marker's la jetee, but with brilliant colors and a sickly sweet/melodramatic 18 carat affair-esque/Chillwave Continuum-style careening and dissonant synth soundtrack. i'd consider this to have good transgender representation without positing any inherent 'moral worth' to the transgender person, if that makes sense. it's a good Take on questions about identity relevant to the transgender experience, as well. 21 minutes.

a feature film from 1987, the period of 'peak ruiz' (the late 70s into the late 80s). this one's hard to summarise but it makes me both feel like i'm being watched and like i'm seeing something i was not meant to see. part political thriller, part theatre adaptation, part comment on the nature of cinema as a medium and the cinema as a place. 104 minutes.

woops

is not like other people

a short film from 1977 on the make of chris marker's la jetee, but with brilliant colors and a sickly sweet/melodramatic 18 carat affair-esque/Chillwave Continuum-style careening and dissonant synth soundtrack. i'd consider this to have good transgender representation without positing any inherent 'moral worth' to the transgender person, if that makes sense. it's a good Take on questions about identity relevant to the transgender experience, as well. 21 minutes.

a feature film from 1987, the period of 'peak ruiz' (the late 70s into the late 80s). this one's hard to summarise but it makes me both feel like i'm being watched and like i'm seeing something i was not meant to see. part political thriller, part theatre adaptation, part comment on the nature of cinema as a medium and the cinema as a place. 104 minutes.
Sounds good