dilbert1

Sounds like the opening line to a new dystopian novel.

i was thinking that this must be one of the few releases from that time that actually pretty close to what those "synthwave" producers like to romantically imagine the 1980s were like, as if:

but hey, at least electro was close to its height then (although I don't remember it being called electro over here... just called it rap, mostly)

0bleak

Just to be clear though, I guess I'm thinking about a certain kind of modern synthwave sound that I was thinking about when I posted that EP tune. Although I also haven't listened to a lot of synthwave so maybe most of it is like the stuff you posted.
What I'm saying is that I don't mean to imply that the 80s weren't full of synth dominated music - I mean, that's primarily where I lived musicially along with electro-rap.

0bleak

The limited exposure to some "synthwave" music I had seemed like they used those kinds of 16th note basslines w/ other epic synth sounds/pads on top.
Flipping through some more synthwave now on youtube, it does seem like maybe wasn't very representative - whatever it was.

Is Boy Harsher considered synthwave? The little I've heard from them does sound 80s influenced, but not in the same way.
The stuff I've seen and heard labeled synthwave seems a bit kitsch.

dilbert1

@0bleak idk that’s what came to mind in terms of current 80s synth revival acts, my roommate loved them but I didn’t. There was a lot of revamped interest in the early 2010s with labels like Minimal Wave and Dark Entries beginning to reissue relatively obscure stuff, that was my point of entry as someone could probably tell from what I culled for that post.

0bleak

Oh, I think we've misunderstood each other.
By synthwave, I mean that sort of hyper-stylised/fantastical imagining of the 80s, not necessarily the stuff that's influenced by real 80s synth stuff.
Listening to some of it even more now, some of it reminds me of the throwaway incidental music that you might have heard in soundtracks at the time by people that were crafting music that they thought would be favored by young audiences:

Some of it sounds decent at times, but then they will often add some kind of garish flourish to the music. maybe I just need to get the "vibe", man

dilbert1

Oh, I think we've misunderstood each other.
By synthwave, I mean that sort of hyper-stylised/fantastical imagining of the 80s, not necessarily the stuff that's influenced by real 80s synth stuff.
Listening to some of it even more now, some of it reminds me of the throwaway incidental music that you might have heard in soundtracks at the time by people that were crafting music that they thought would be favored by young audiences:

Some of it sounds decent at times, but then they will often add some kind of garish flourish to the music. maybe I just need to get the "vibe", man

Had no idea, yeah it’s very rote in its 80sness. Also reminds me of Com Truise, who was coming out just around the same time as the aforementioned 80s/synth revival. I listened to his first releases in high school but it quickly got tired and those other things were about, helping me shed the indie juvenilia