Joan Didion (1934 - 2021)

sus

Yes, he's wonderful, and her writing on the counterculture was condescending, smug, insulated, the exact opposite of everything you want

sus

“The New Yorker has always dealt with experience not by trying to understand it but by prescribing the attitude to be adopted toward it. This makes it possible to feel intelligent without thinking, and it is a way of making everything tolerable, for the assumption of a suitable attitude toward experience can give one the illusion of having dealt with it adequately.”

—Robert Warshow, “E. B. White and the New Yorker”

sus

Also I think she made up loads of her reporting. A proto Stephen Glass if you will. When it's too sensational to believe, it was probably fabricated. Con artist of a thinker; control freak of a person.

jenks

thread death
I’m not going to waste time trying to persuade you I know the general tenor in recent months is to trash reputations of anyone considered to be good so I shan’t be engaging in a discussion on this but I think Didion has been poorly represented here. I am a big fan, read pretty much her entire oeuvre. The Year of Magical Thinking is a brilliant piece on grief and loss. The early non fiction has lasted unlike much of what got called ‘new journalism’ and I’d rather read her than Ben Lerner, whom I like but isn’t in the same league.

version

Yes, he's wonderful, and her writing on the counterculture was condescending, smug, insulated, the exact opposite of everything you want
There's more than enough writing out there sympathetic to the counterculture, isn't there? Didion was my first exposure to some of the very real problems with it after years of hearing how free and revolutionary the whole thing was.

sus

There's more than enough writing out there sympathetic to the counterculture, isn't there? Didion was my first exposure to some of the very real problems with it after years of hearing how free and revolutionary the whole thing was.
Fair