Rivers

luka

@plasteredbastard

@plasteredbastard

3 years ago

Psalm 137 1-4 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion. 2 There on the poplars we hung our harps, 3 for there our captors asked us for songs, our tormentors demanded songs of joy; they said, “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!” 4 How can we sing the songs of the Lord while in a foreign land?

luka

its a basic fundamental metaphor. like a river. rivers are so basic no one could be bothered to answer gus' question. also couldnt answer it cos they're not as clever as me. but it's fundamental. it's at the centre of the world-imagination.

luka

little dorrit mopes about on a bridge. our mutual friend has a good opening scene on the thames. i am an experienced river-man.

version

There's an Irigaray book responding to Nietzsche via oceans and water. Started it, but got fed up and didn't finish it.

Published in France in 1980, Marine Lover is the first in a trilogy in which Luce Irigaray links the interrogation of the feminine in post-Hegelian philosophy with a pre-Socratic investigation of the elements. Irigaray undertakes to interrogate Nietzche, the grandfather of poststructuralist philosophy, from the point of view of water.

According to Irigaray, water is the element Nietzsche fears most. She uses this element in her narrative because for her there is a complex relationship between the feminine and the fluid. Irigaray's method is to engage in an amorous dialogue with the male philosopher. In this dialogue, she ruptures conventional discourse and writes in a lyrical style that defies distinction between theory, fiction, and philosophy.

12316.jpg

luka

BE THE LEADER
During the event be prepared to supervise, direct and answer questions. Your
volunteers won’t know the site or the planning for the day as well as you. Whilst you
may want to get stuck in yourself and thoroughly engage in the activities, a good
leader is usually the one taking a step back from the action to keep a bird’s eye view
on how the event is going as a whole

Roger Deakin, God wet his soul, famously wrote about rivers and swimming in them. Any open water would do for Deakin. I read his chapter on the sacred groves of Devon last night, in which he follows the rivers Taw and Yeo through the green man haunted hidden valleys in the north of the county. Not to be confused with Joey Deacon whose only recorded encounter with a river was when he dropped his shoe in the Thames while a passenger on one of Luka's boats.

luka

theres that alice oswald devon river book too, Dart. i don't really like it though. feels a bit mannered and lightweight.