eating seaweed

luka

which seaweeds do you eat how do you eat them and how regularly do you eat them?

do you think it is important to eat seaweed? what health benefits do you get from eating seaweeds?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dunno about health benefits but I really like the seaweed they sell in Japaneses restaurants and I remember enjoying laver bread when I was younger. Recently I read about liver and or bacon being served on laver bread and I thought that sounded like the nuts. I have no idea where I would go about getting it here though.
Recently I read about some big chef experimenting with, maybe not exactly seaweed, but some kind of plant that you can grow under the water, even salt water, so you could grow it in the sea. I think he was trying to make different versions grow with different tastes straight off and also different ways to prepare it once harvested. There would obviously be huge benefits if you could grow massive amounts on the bottom of the sea and feed the world... though knowing the way these thing work it would probably get out of hand and spread uncontrollaby, starving fish of oxygen and causing some previously unknown sea monster, deprived of its usual diet of whales, sharks and giant squid, to rise from the depths and eat Tokyo or NY or something.

william_kent

Once, in a Korean restaurant, I was given a complimentary cup of what I assumed was green tea, but the first sip was a shock due to the saltiness. I was then informed that seaweed tea is a birthday treat in Korea. I'd have preferred cake.

I like the crispy dark green seaweed that some Chinese restaurants serve, but only in moderation.

Last edited:

shakahislop

it's unique coz you can't eat most things that start with the word 'sea'. 'seaweed' you can. 'seesaw' you can't.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There are a lot of seeds you can eat. And semen pretty much means seed doesn't it? As you are constantly reminded of in the shops here if you buy sunflower semen or sesame semen or... well, ok, the word is actually semente.

luka

ive got some spirulina but i dont think thats seaweed exactly. and ive got some furikake with seaweeds i use quite a lot. i think seaweed is good
though you can accidentally iodine poison yourself they say. is samphire a seaweed? thats nice.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i got some Irish Seamoss the other day on a whim.

Any good? You can buy seaweed to snack on in packets like with crisps, but I often find them a bit disappointing cos there is so much air in there, when you pick up a packet it feels so light cos the seaweed is all but weightless and then the packets are pumped up to a stupid size for some reason, so you feel as though you're paying for a big box of air. They are also pretty expensive as a rule I think. Although the other day there was a special offer on some out of date ones and I bought a megapack of about twenty packets of seaweed for next to nothing.

luka

is the irish moss any good? well tbh i dont know what to do with it. i used it to thicken a stew a couple of times and it worked almost too well

IdleRich

IdleRich
ive got some spirulina but i dont think thats seaweed exactly. and ive got some furikake with seaweeds i use quite a lot. i think seaweed is good
though you can accidentally iodine poison yourself they say. is samphire a seaweed? thats nice.
Pretty sure that samphire isn't a seaweed, it grows on the land doesn't it? It's pretty rare in the supermarkets here and you have to pay quite a lot for the tiniest little bit so I got overexcited when I found fuckloads of it growing by the river in the marshes near where I live. Turned out it was something else though.

luka

yes, good point. things growing on land cant be considered seaweeds. useful distinction.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Samphire is a lovely word i always think. To my mind it instantly conjures up an image of the marshland where it grows, logically enough I suppose, but its name also suggests some sort of fire in the marshes burning through the dusk, drawing you comfortingly towards it as the light fades.

luka

yes its a nice word, a couple of degrees nicer than sapphire, which is also nice.

IdleRich

IdleRich
yes, good point. things growing on land cant be considered seaweeds. useful distinction.
Though actually maybe some seaweed can grow on the land and the sea. I thought seaweed often grows on rocks that are covered when the tide is high and are visible when it falls.
But I thought samphire just grows in marshland and in land near to the sea. Botany is up there with cartoon superheroes in my fields of expertise though so if anyone knows more than me about it I am happy to be corrected.

IdleRich

IdleRich
yes its a nice word, a couple of degrees nicer than sapphire, which is also nice.
Yeah, the M in the middle softens sapphire... I actually don't think sapphire a hard word, but it's close enough to being a hard word, that combined with what it means it instantly conjures up cold, cool sharp edges... to me anyhow.

luka

you get seaweed woven into different salty snacks too if you want ballast
for example