Slang Help Thread (like an updated Underground Dictionary)

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't think that we have a thread for help with slang terms so I'm thinking it might be useful when you come across a word or phrase that you don't recognise - whether you're reading something about beatniks getting zooted in the 50s or simply listening to the latest nice mellow beats - to have a place where you can ask for an explanation.

That's the general idea behind it but the proximate causes were two things - the first is watching that film about Brian Wilson and his doctor-cum-gaoler Eugene Landy, not so much the film itself, but in the film Paul Giamatti as Landy mentions his book The Underground Dictionary which he says was created to help straights and professionals such as himself interact with the hip world of bikers, dealers, hippies and such - and the second is inspired by reading City of Night and needing to have a few words translated for me, specifically what drug was known as pod and what drug was known as bees? Here's a sentence for your with both "I have a fine connection here, baby, and we'll get tanked on bees and pod and then I'll really show you a sex scene".

I think that pod is marijuana but what's bees? I've heard people say "bumbles" meaning bumble-bees = Es for ecstasy, but I don't think that that is what they were taking in LA in the late 50s. My guess is... bees means bennies ie benzedrine. That is a guess though, based on the fact that it begins with B and also, from the context, bees appear to be uppers. But anyone know for sure?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thot. It's all over the place but I don't know what it means. I'm sure I could google it.
"That ho over there", or sometimes "Thirsty ho over there". Basically a completely unnecessary duplication of "ho".

"Bees", in the context of drugs, has been applied to 2C-B, but like ecstasy, it's probably not that in the 1950s.

One that always sounds weird to me is "meth" in Wu-tang lyrics, which isn't crystal meth but "method", as in Method Man, i.e. weed.

william_kent

I think @IdleRich is correct in thinking "bees" is benzedrine, also referred to as "bennies"

"pod" is a lamer term for weed, which is my guess derived from the contexts it is used in by Burroughs - it seems to be a term used by "squares", not hip at all

A square wants to come on hip.... Talks about "pod" and smoke it now and then, and keeps some around to offer the fast Hollywood types

So I put it on him for a sawski and make a meet to sell him some "pod" as he calls it, thinking, "I'll catnip the jerk." (Footnote: Catnip smells like marijuana when it burns. Frequently passed on the incautious or uninstructed.)

woops

is not like other people
"That ho over there", or sometimes "Thirsty ho over there". Basically a completely unnecessary duplication of "ho".

"Bees", in the context of drugs, has been applied to 2C-B, but like ecstasy, it's probably not that in the 1950s.

One that always sounds weird to me is "meth" in Wu-tang lyrics, which isn't crystal meth but "method", as in Method Man, i.e. weed.
crystal meth was called glass before people started calling it meth.

luka

According to a National Geographic TV documentary on methamphetamine, an entire subculture known as party and play is based around sexual activity and methamphetamine use.[26] Participants in this subculture, which consists almost entirely of homosexual male methamphetamine users, will typically meet up through internet dating sites and have sex.[26] Due to its strong stimulant and aphrodisiac effects and inhibitory effect on ejaculation, with repeated use, these sexual encounters will sometimes occur continuously for several days on end.[26] The crash following the use of methamphetamine in this manner is very often severe, with marked hypersomnia (excessive daytime sleepiness).[26]

woops

is not like other people
well yeah of course just thought people might not know this outmoded and poetic term for the stuff.

william_kent

meth was also known as "ice" - still is in Australia as far as I know ( one of my favourite documentaries is 'The Ice Age', where you can also learn slang like 'skating', which means staying up for days on 'ice' )

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

According to a National Geographic TV documentary on methamphetamine, an entire subculture known as party and play is based around sexual activity and methamphetamine use.[26] Participants in this subculture, which consists almost entirely of homosexual male methamphetamine users, will typically meet up through internet dating sites and have sex.[26] Due to its strong stimulant and aphrodisiac effects and inhibitory effect on ejaculation, with repeated use, these sexual encounters will sometimes occur continuously for several days on end.[26] The crash following the use of methamphetamine in this manner is very often severe, with marked hypersomnia (excessive daytime sleepiness).[26]
Imagine getting bummed for days on end without a break. There'd be nothing left of you but a soggy ribcage.

william_kent

who's read about that drug john mcafee synthesised that gets you so randy you're liable to try to have sex with your pet dog

the one where he was freebasing homemade MDPV?

I've processed 23 kilos of this stuff in the past year or so, and bump it myself every day - in fair quantities the hypersexuality... is beyond belief. I have had a number of acquaintances (both male and female) who have rubbed their genitals way past the point of bleeding and still couldn't stop.